President & CEO
- Job posted by New Hope Community
New Hope Community is a non-profit organization dedicated to supporting individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities in residentially based settings. Located on a sprawling campus in Loch Sheldrake, NY (Sullivan County), New Hope Community, a CQL-accredited agency, is home to over 240 individuals between its campus and off-site residences.
New Hope Community’s residential program provides a wide array of living options, ranging from a campus setting to integrated housing in traditional neighborhoods in the community. The housing staff provides individualized service delivery, including personal care, clinical support, recreational activities, and social development.
In addition to housing, New Hope Community provides a variety of other programs and services. The day programs include on-campus classes in technology, fine arts, athletics, gardening and horseback riding, as well as the Without Walls program, which promotes educational experience within the greater Sullivan County and Hudson Valley community. For over 40 years, New Hope Community’s commitment to investing in its facilities and programs has made it a premier point of support for the population it serves.
As New Hope Community looks towards the future, its visionary driven strategic priorities include: ensuring optimal campus utilization and/or expansion; ensuring best practices related to program development including aging-in-place programs; establishing itself as a best place to live for the residents and a best-place-to-work for professionals and being a human services sector convenor of ideas and innovation to serve those with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
New Hope Community operates with a budget in excess of $40M and 650 FTE’s. To learn more please visit www.newhopecommunity.org
New Hope Community is located in the Catskills, a large region in the southeastern portion of New York State. New Hope is 95 miles southwest of Albany, NY and 100 miles north of New York City. The area boasts many outdoor sports and family activities, as well as many cultural and musical events, often located at the world renowned Bethel Woods Center for the Arts—and, presently under-contruction, a new family destination center consisting of an all year-round waterpark, world class golf course and spa. The community has long been attractive to those seeking to indulge their love of the outdoors while still being an easy drive from New York City.
The President & CEO (“CEO”) is accountable to and reports to the New Hope Community Board of Directors. The CEO is responsible for continuing to build on the vision and strategic direction of this mission-driven non-profit. The CEO will provide visionary leadership to maintain New Hope Community as a premier provider of residential, support and vocational programs that are focused upon best practice initiatives, new approaches to service delivery, and growth and expansion of services.
The landscape for providing services is changing statewide and nationally throughout New Hope’s human services sector. These changes, some known and some unknown, require a CEO who is entrepreneurial and creative and who is biased towards action and innovation.
S/he is responsible for ensuring superior standards of support and ethical conduct throughout the organization, leading progressive service growth and sound business expansion, and maintaining a positive reputation with stakeholder groups. S/he must be a leader who will thrive in an entrepreneurial, collegial and accomplishment oriented culture and who will not only maintain, but also grow, the sustainability and financial viability of the organization on a long-term basis, balancing visionary leadership with the need to drive toward operational implementation.
As the chief professional officer for New Hope Community, the CEO ensures that the organization’s operational protocols are in alignment with the strategic objectives of the organization and that employees are continually informed and included in those processes to maximize individual contributions to the mission.
The CEO will ensure that the organization is appropriately staffed in order to fulfill the organization’s mission and implement its vision. S/he provides leadership and direction to an extensive and diversified staff.
With a strong management team in place, the CEO will likely play a very significant external role in promoting New Hope Community with private funders, public funding agencies, and consortiums consisting of other similar nonprofits.
- Drive the implementation of existing, and creation of future, strategic plans.
- Engage and motivate the Board of Directors, management and staff in the development and implementation of plans.
- Evaluate progress and impact.
- Create an organizational environment that reflects an absolute commitment to mission and the continuing pursuit of quality improvement throughout the organization.
- Ensure that policies, procedures and practices facilitate a mission driven culture.
- Assure that all programs and services are consistent with the mission, vision and values of the organization and meet or exceed expectations of relevant stakeholder groups.
- Continually assess organizational performance against plans and external benchmarks to validate the organization’s position as a premier provider of services for people with disabilities.
Infrastructure and Other Supports:
- Lead the effort to ensure optimization of the use of its facilities for both today and tomorrow, not only in aligning with federal and state guidelines, but also a progressive use of our facilities to support an “aging in place”/best place to live agenda.
- Ensure efficient and effective operations through sound business and fiscal practices throughout the organization.
- Assure and monitor compliance with all related statutory and regulatory requirements.
- Harness technology to create innovative model programs that help individuals achieve independent and fulfilling lives.
- Assess viability of programs and implement a business plan that prioritizes programs and projects going forward.
- Ensure that human resources and staff development and retention policies and ractices are both prescient in nature and ensures best-practices are in place. The objective is to make certain that New Hope Community is recognized as a best place to work in the community and the industry.
- Promote a culture of workforce inclusion, professional development and recognition to enhance employee performance and the pursuit of best practices throughout the organization.
- Build depth in managerial and professional leadership structure to assure ongoing stability.
- Continue to provide experiential and development opportunities for staff at all levels
- Motivate, evaluate and inspire staff by creating a collaborative, transparent and inclusive culture that allows for an open dialogue to address both the challenges and opportunities facing New Hope Community.
- Inform and advise Board of Directors with regard to significant environmental trends such as new service delivery models, changes in government policy, funding opportunities or challenges and market trends that could impact organizational directions and activities.
- Working with Board leadership, create a dynamic, collaborative partnership between the organization’s voluntary Board of Directors and senior management to advance short and long term objectives, with particular emphasis on community outreach and fundraising activities.
- With staff and board, plan and execute a strategic, long-term sustainable approach to raising financial support from corporate, foundation and individual sources with the goal of increasing private fundraising dollars to support ongoing, high quality programs and services consistent with the organization’s mission.
- Ensure an effective communication program is developed and maintained to promote positive relationships with stakeholder groups (people served, families, funders, state agencies, business partners, donors and the public at large).
- Work with leaders within all areas of government on systemic changes relevant to the sector.
- Develop and leverage an ongoing communications, public relations and branding strategy.
- Serve as a convener of professionals among the community of disability and mental health providers.
- A demonstrated leader in either the corporate business world, healthcare sectors or in a large nonprofit with multiple and complex funding streams, with at least 15 years experience successfully guiding an entity through change and growth at the general management---full P/L responsibility, level.
- Success in leadership roles managing complex organizations in a highly regulated environment.
- A business-minded and business experienced professional able to process risks and rewards of new business enterprises.
- Experience working with or serving on voluntary Boards is desirable.
- Financial acumen, business, management and forecasting skills – ability to link strategic and operational goals to fiscal realities and program priorities.
- Reputation as a team builder with demonstrated success leading, motivating and collaborating with a large group of professional and direct service staff.
- Successful relationship builder with a track record of attracting new funding sources and/or the appetite to do so.
- Ability to articulate New Hope Community’s message to a broad range of constituents and the general public.
- A natural gravitas
- Passion and dedication to New Hope Community’s mission.
- Inspirational leadership skills.
- Unquestioned integrity and values.
- Persistence and resilience – the realization that the work is not the priority of others and that the ability to keep going in the face of obstacles, delays and denials is essential.
- Commitment to change and improvement – creating a culture that always looks to improve.
- Sound judgment and decision making in order to deal with the complexities and uncertainties in the nonprofit marketplace.
- Intellectual/emotional intelligence.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Prudent risk taker and results oriented.
- Flexible/responsive to feedback.
- Innovative, entrepreneurial,creative, high energy.
Minimum Education Required