GRI - Chief Development Officer
- Job posted by Global Reporting Initiative (GRI)
Details: Competitive salary, commensurate with experience and non-profit scale
Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands (preferred)
Reporting to: Chief Executive and is a member of the GRI Executive Team
Annual salary: Competitive salary, commensurate with experience and non-profit scale
Position summary and job purpose
The Chief Development Officer (CDO) is responsible for developing and implementing GRI’s fundraising strategy and building the organizational capacity and culture to ensure its success. The CDO is responsible for expanding GRI’s major donor program and growing and diversifying its funding base. The CDO reports to the Chief Executive and is a member of the GRI Executive Team. He/she leads the fundraising department and works directly with GRI’s regional hubs and offices (in 11 locations).
- Develop and implement medium-term and long-term global strategy to strengthen GRI’s grant financing through a comprehensive, diversified development strategy including institutional, foundation and individual donors.
- Engage deeply in GRI’s strategies, people, programs and plans to represent the organization to partners and potential funders.
- Actively engage in GRI’s Executive Team to developing effective messages for and outreach to donor audiences.
- Manage the development department.
- Serve as an effective spokesperson for GRI on an international basis.
- This position will require up to 20% international travel.
Essential skills and capabilities
- Demonstrated senior level experience and expertise and in Sustainable Development. Specific experience in ESG disclosure and GRI is a differentiator.
- Demonstrated success in fundraising and creating innovative and development strategies.
- Demonstrated ability to prospect, cultivate, and manage new accounts
- Understanding of GRI’s vision, mission, history and multi stakeholder governance.
- Hands-on creative person with the ability to think strategically and act tactically.
- Ability to balance attention to detail with big-picture thinking.
- Inspiring, passionate (about sustainability), curious and open minded.
- Results oriented and capable to harness creativity into implementable, fundable activities.
- Demonstrated financial awareness; controls costs and understands the basics of P/L management.
- Ability to make linkages between Finance, HR, Legal and IT, and wider GRI issues.
- Demonstrated capability to work under pressure and meet deadlines and fundraising targets.
- Working knowledge of global ethical fundraising legal frameworks and practices.
- Strong leadership and management skills with ability to delegate, train, coach and motivate staff.
- Excellent written and verbal English language communication skills (knowledge of other languages is an advantage) with direct experience in working with and presenting to Boards.
- Excellent interpersonal, influencing and negotiating skills, to develop effective long-term relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Strong integrity, ethics and professionalism: accurate, reliable and knows how to deal with confidential information.
- Collaborative management and working style with a diverse workforce; strong mediating skills.
- Entrepreneurship: Offer fresh, innovative ideas and approaches that create market and brand value.
- Coaching and Mentoring: Provide timely, clear guidance to help others excel in their roles.
- Establish Strategic Direction: Commitment to a long-range course of action to accomplish a vision taking into consideration resources, constraints, and organizational values.
- Organizational Awareness: awareness of developments, governance structures and politics.
- Accurate Self-Insight: Demonstrate an awareness own strengths and development needs, as well as the impact of own behaviour on others.
- Able to work in an international and multi-cultural setting
- 10+ years of demonstrated non-profit fundraising success. Experience with foundations and private fundraising preferred.
- Experience working in international non-profit organizations (> €10 million), as well as in a global and multi-national environment.
- Existing strong network of potential partners and funders, essential.
- Experience in global sustainability themes (e.g., SDGs, climate change, etc.).
- Experience in operating in multiple regions and countries.
- Experience in sustainability, corporate responsibility and corporate ESG disclosure.
- Track record of operational leadership in a senior role in a complex, international organization.
- Experience in working with Directors and senior management to deliver strategic objectives.
- Bachelor's degree required, advanced degree preferred.
GRI (Global Reporting Initiative) is an international independent organization that has pioneered corporate sustainability reporting since 1997. GRI helps businesses, governments and other organizations understand and communicate the impact of business on critical sustainability issues such as climate change, human rights, corruption and many others.
With thousands of reporters in over 90 countries, GRI provides the world’s most trusted and widely used standards on sustainability reporting, enabling organizations and their stakeholders to make better decisions based on information that matters. Currently, over 40 countries and regions reference GRI in their policies. GRI is built upon a unique multi-stakeholder principle, which ensures the participation and expertise of diverse stakeholders in the development of its standards. GRI’s mission is to empower decision-makers everywhere, through its standards and multi-stakeholder network, to take action towards a more sustainable economy and world.
Our Vision: A thriving global community that lifts humanity and enhances the resources on which all life depends.
Our Mission: To empower decisions that create social, environmental and economic benefits for everyone.
Level of Language Proficiency
Excellent written and verbal English language communication skills (knowledge of other languages is an advantage).
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send a letter of application stating the skills and approach that you would bring to the post with your CV/resume (no photos) in strict confidence by email only to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please ensure that they are sent as Word or PDF documents with the titles “your name cover letter” and “your name CV” Please put “GRI Chief Development Officer” in the email subject line.
Deadline for applications: Sunday October 28th, 2018