Sanctuary for Families is New York's leading service provider and advocate for survivors of domestic violence, sex trafficking and related forms of gender violence. Every year, Sanctuary empowers thousands of adults and children to move from fear and abuse to safety and stability, transforming lives through a comprehensive range of services. We provide a range of wrap-around services to help survivors rebuild their lives in the aftermath of abuse, and work to end gender violence through three key strategies: direct services, outreach and training, and systems-change advocacy. Our services are available in 11 locations throughout New York City.
Sanctuary for Families seeks a Project Assistant to assist attorneys in its Family Law Project at the NYC Family Justice Center, Manhattan, in representing domestic violence survivors in family offense, custody/visitation, child/spousal support and matrimonial proceedings. Other responsibilities include assisting with all aspects of project administration, performing administrative tasks, such as data compilation and organizing files, conducting community outreach and education in Manhattan, and collaborating with other agencies to advocate for systemic change. The Project Assistant is expected to work both remotely and in person out of the Manhattan Family Justice Center (MFJC) with a hybrid schedule in accordance with COVID-19 safety plans
• Assists project attorneys in all aspects of litigation support, including drafting and editing legal documents, conducting client interviews, writing correspondence, gathering evidence, maintaining case tracking systems, requesting transcripts, obtaining court records, and filing and serving papers
• Performs direct client advocacy, including conducting client interviews, and assisting attorneys with case preparation
• Staffs the Sanctuary for Families Manhattan Legal Helpline and conducts intakes to assess cases and determine eligibility for legal assistance
• Refers clients to appropriate legal and social services within and outside of Sanctuary for Families and the MFJC
• Writes and prepare grant applications on behalf of clients to support their economic stability and to provide emergency financial assistance
• Provides administrative support for project attorneys, including maintaining client database and client files
• Assists project attorneys in organizing trainings for staff, interns and volunteers
• Coordinates, organizes and conducts outreach to underserved communities
• Performs any other department or agency-related duties as directed by supervisor
• Bachelor's degree or relevant work experience
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
• Strong organizational and administrative skills
• Ability to multitask, prioritize, and work in a fast paced environment
• Ability to work both remotely online and in-person
• Knowledgeable and/or interested in learning about legal systems & their impact on survivors of trauma, immigrants, and indigent persons
• Understanding of and ability to work with people of diverse national, ethnic, cultural, religious, and socioeconomic backgrounds
All qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of race, creed (religion), color, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, military status, age, disability, predisposing genetic characteristic, marital status or domestic violence victim status, and shall also follow the requirements of the Human Rights Law with regard to non-discrimination on the basis of prior criminal conviction and prior arrest.
D.E.I Commitment: Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion are core values at Sanctuary for Families that represent our dedication to fostering a safe, respectful, responsive, and fair work environment. We recognize the value diversity holds in embracing all employees, clients, and volunteers regardless of gender, race, ethnicity, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, or professional level.
Sanctuary for Families is New York's leading service provider and advocate for survivors of domestic violence, sex trafficking and related forms of gender violence. Every year, Sanctuary empowers thousands of adults and children…