ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
The families of our nation's all-volunteer military make unprecedented sacrifices these days to serve our country. Blue Star Families was founded by military spouses in 2009 to empower these families to thrive as they serve. Blue Star Families is committed to strengthening military families by connecting them with their neighbors – individuals and organizations – to create vibrant communities of mutual support. Blue Star Families believes we're all stronger when we take care of one another.
BSF brings a new and innovative lens to its work. Its groundbreaking research is raising the nation's awareness of the unique challenges of military family life. Through its nationwide community building efforts, technology platforms, and programs, BSF is overcoming the isolation and alienation of frequent moves, deployments, and reduced support from the government. Its innovative programs are solving specific challenges for military families, including fighting economic insecurity with resources that foster spouse career development, creating family strength with rich family programming, and providing critical peer support for caregivers, whose numbers are only increasing.
With more than 150,000 members in its network, including in chapters all over the world, Blue Star Families touches more than 1.5 million military family members every year. Through research and program partnerships, Blue Star Families ensures that wherever American military families go, they can always feel connected, supported and empowered to thrive – in every community, across the nation, and around the globe.
ABOUT THE POSITION
Blue Star Families is seeking a strategic, entrepreneurial, and creative leader to serve in the newly created role of Chief Storytelling and Revenue Officer. Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, this individual will lead the organization's external functions, tightening the relationship between storytelling, activities, and revenue generation. The Chief Storytelling and Revenue Officer will also serve as a key member of the executive leadership team, managing five direct reports and a team of roughly twelve.
The ideal candidate will have deep experience crafting compelling stories across a range of platforms and a track record and designing and implementing effective sales / marketing strategies. Equally as important, the ideal candidate must care deeply about supporting America's military families.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Serve on Blue Star Families' executive leadership team, collaborating with the CEO, COO, and other senior leaders to help drive the organization's vision, strategy, and external voice
- Partner with the CEO, COO, and other senior leaders to develop strategies that shape and fuel the organization's existing and new initiatives
- Oversee BSF's major digital transformation initiative ongoing for 2020, which involves developing a salesforce-integrated, mobile enabled website to provide a personalized experience for BSF members and heightened analytic and management capabilities for BSF staff.
- Act as a liaison to the Board and partners, presenting key development updates and building strong relationships with board members
- Serve as a culture builder and carrier for the organization
- Advise program, communications, and operations teams on revenue generation strategies; ensure all activities are integrated
- Lead a team of roughly 12, including across the digital, communications, and development functions
- Manage outside contractors and consultants effectively and efficiently
- Communicate overall strategy as well as team and individual goals to support the successful execution of that strategy
- Develop and mentor team to ensure individuals are best deployed to build a revenue base while developing as professionals
- Design and implement digital strategies to drive membership growth, military family engagement, and revenue generation
- Develop and maintain a cohesive organizational narrative, and ensure individual regional initiatives are aligned with it; conceptualize, pitch and execute national campaigns that achieve organizational objectives of revenue generation and increased membership satisfaction
- Strategically manage Blue Star Families' online presence, including but not limited to its website, social media, and its participation in online forums
- Lead the strategy to set ambitious grassroots fundraising goals, develop campaigns and programs to meet or exceed them, and innovate new tactics and sources of income; ensure execution of these strategies
- Oversee key digital organizing and fundraising data analyses through rigorous tracking and testing and provide recommendations to team members
- Manage implementation of digital transformation throughout the organization
- Develop and refine a comprehensive and innovative philanthropic strategy that aligns Blue Star Families mission, strategy, narrative, and programs
- Manage the Blue Star Families development team, working with the team to secure capital and expand the donor base across multiple sources (e.g. corporations, foundations, social good investors, private markets) to fund the organization's work with military families
- Refine and enhance fundraising systems and processes, ensuring exceptional donor stewardship and timely reporting.
- Cultivate and engage the Board of Directors members on an ongoing basis, with a strategic approach toward establishing a culture of philanthropy and deepening their relationships with the organization
- Serve as an external voice and ambassador for Blue Star Families, speaking publicly at events and conferences and presenting as a thought leader on relevant topics
- Continue to develop and build Blue Star Families' brand strategy and oversee its execution, including managing and stewarding Blue Star Families' national brand platform
- Manage Blue Star Families media relations strategy and objectives, developing a metrics-driven, proactive communications plan and responding to media inquiries
- Develop and manage Blue Star Families' marketing programs such as newsletters, social marketing campaigns and outreach, website, annual report, and other tools
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Minimum of 15 years of professional experience, with at least 5 years in a senior leadership role
- Track record of overseeing programs, products or initiatives, with oversight over both revenue generation and product/service delivery
- Deep experience crafting compelling online and offline marketing initiatives, with a track record of successfully meeting or exceeding goals
- Exceptional strategic and analytical thinking skills; genuine intellectual curiosity and high emotional intelligence
- An entrepreneurial and innovative mindset, coupled with a strong ability to set and implement strategy
- Exceptional relationship building and influencing skills, with a track record of building strong relationships at all levels across diverse groups of stakeholders
- Experience leading and managing senior teams to achieve ambitious results
- Exceptional communication skills, with the ability to engage and inspire a diverse range of audiences
- A high degree of cultural competence and belief in the value of diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences
- Passion for Blue Star Families' mission and core values, ideally with experience working or living abroad
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Salary and benefits will be competitive and commensurate with experience.