ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
Common Impact works towards alleviating inequality by building the capacity of social change organizations through skilled volunteerism. Common Impact has built the leading model for skills-based volunteering, connecting talented professionals from global companies to high-potential local nonprofits.
As corporate engagement in social challenges deepens, and with our drive to tackle inequalities and build a more equitable and inclusive world, Common Impact is expanding and evolving to meet the new demands of this exciting field. In 2020, Common Impact embarked on a three-year strategic plan to vastly increase the scope of its impact through targeted partnerships, the development of new scalable models, and the identification and execution of critical social sector projects where corporate talent can play a transformational role. You can read more about their current three-year strategic plan here.
For more information, please visit: https://commonimpact.org/
ABOUT THE POSITION:
Working in close partnership with Common Impact’s CEO, the COO will govern the overall internal operations of the organization, evolve and build the systems that will position the organization for growth, and drive adoption of those systems.
The successful candidate will be a strategic systems thinker with experience driving results in an entrepreneurial environment. They will have a proven track-record of successfully managing a wide range of simultaneous projects, as an operational leader, will understand how to engage and activate individuals with widely varying backgrounds, experiences and goals, and will bring levity and fun to a hard-working, ambitious team of nonprofit professionals.
Specific responsibilities include:
Strategic Planning and Execution
- Ensure organizational health and excellence in program delivery by tracking and supporting financially sustainable programmatic decision
- Manage and elevate issues across multiple dimensions – strategy, operations, finance, talent, and technology – in order to guide the organization towards the achievement of its strategic goals
- Identify needs for operational scale, prioritizing those needs and assessing costs, executing initiatives and driving adoption
Systems Development and Management
- Ensure program and operational systems are structured enough to allow for consistent execution, while being nimble enough to enable Common Impact to be responsive to varied client needs and a changing environment
- Build, enhance and refine processes to support a client experience that is effective and efficient
- Oversee Common Impact’s human resources, finance and technology function in partnership with the CEO and Common Impact’s outsourced vendors
- In partnership with internal team members and consultants, utilize technology to streamline internal operations, programs, and meet the evolving needs of the organization
- Evolve current systems to plan and track program revenue and staffing assignments in partnership with the Chief Program Officer
- Oversee, maintain and evolve organizational reporting and dashboards for leadership and board decision making
- Provide strategic guidance and support on staffing, compliance, policy and leadership development
- Manage organizational communication systems and ensure workplace environment sets employees up for success
- Serve as a central owner for all organizational reports and dashboards, ensuring sufficient upkeep and data entry
- Enhance the organizational culture by modeling excellence and innovation, fostering collaboration, giving and receiving feedback openly and often, and having fun
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Comfort navigating ambiguous information and crafting a stable but flexible operational plan / systems to make business decisions based on those variables, ideally with experience in a corporate facing program.
- Strategic thinker who can analyze and synthesize large amounts of data quickly, draw conclusions and define solutions
- Systems thinker who does not respond to individual scenarios or prompts, but understands the symptoms of a challenge and can design broad operational systems
- An experienced trainer who can onboard and train employees onto new processes and systems and drive adoption and accountability of those systems
- A superior written and oral communicator who can inspire people to action, and can effectively communicate complex messages
- A strong people manager, interested in developing the talents of those who they are supervising, with experience leading high performing teams
- Previous experience with client services, consulting operations and / or nonprofit earned income models
- Strong working knowledge of operational and technology solutions that support client services in an entrepreneurial environment, with experience in Salesforce.com and Microsoft 365 a plus
- Ability to interact effectively and professionally with a wide range of individuals and organizations, from the Founder of a small nonprofit, to a representative of a large corporation
- Committed to working with diverse, cross-sector communities
- Experienced in working with or in both nonprofits and private sector firms
- 15+ years of leadership and management experience
- Enthusiastic about the mission of Common Impact