American Prison Data Systems (APDS) is Public Benefit Corporation (PBC) and a certified B-Corporation that provides educational software and technology to correctional facilities across the country. There are more than 2 million people incarcerated and more than 4.5 million paroled in the U.S. APDS provides tablet-based education solutions for incarcerated learners and returning citizens in order to create better outcomes through individualized education, rehabilitation, and reentry programming to prepare them for a successful reentry to society. Investments in correctional education improve outcomes, reduce recidivism, and make correctional facilities safer for both staff and those who are incarcerated. APDS’s business model is to never charge incarcerated individuals or their friends and families for its technology or services. Our products and services are deployed in over 90 facilities across 17 states and growing.
Learn more at www.apdscorporate.com
The Staff Accountant is a new position on APDS’s finance team and will process all levels of general ledger transactions at APDS. She/he will assist in areas such as General Ledger postings, Balance Sheet reconciliations, and Financial Reporting. This position will report to the Controller and working closely with the finance team.
A strong candidate for this position will be one who is ready to move into a senior accountant position within 15 months. The role will support the controller in the day to day accounting operations of the company and assist in building a world class finance and accounting function.
As APDS is growing, we are looking for an experienced staff accountant who will roll up her/his sleeves and achieve the following outcomes:
- Assist with remapping our Chart Of Accounts
- Identify and manage new applicable metrics and refine our current metrics
- Ensure all tax filings are done on time without penalties both federal and at the state level
- Resolve and reconcile our inventory accounts
- Research/propose/Implement a new Accounting System.
- Execute key accounting processes to ensure all transactions are captured in APDS’s financial reporting systems and are compliant from a control and accounting policy standpoint.
- Accounts payable: enter AP invoices, create new vendors, posting employee expenses
- Accruals: Collaboration with various department heads to find out what expense were incurred (i.e. Business Development, Sales, Product, Technology as well as travel and entertainment employees are aware of but not in possession of an invoice)
- Prepaid expenses: Licensing, insurance, dues & subscriptions, etc…
- Bank reconciliations and depreciation schedules
- Prepare detailed monthly roll-forward schedule to support various balance sheet accounts (e.g., Accruals, Bonus accruals, commission accruals, Prepaid expenses, loans, etc…)
- Execute monthly revenue recognition process including validating deferred revenue as well as revenue recognized for various income streams, Subscriptions APDS/3rd party partner content, Hardware and Services
- Collaborate with Business Development to validate third party licensing costs monthly.
- Manage monthly T&E and various other ad hoc analysis for senior management
- Support year end audits and statutory filings as required for multiple legal entities
Qualifications and Experience
- 4+ years of experience managing key accounting processes in a small to medium sized company
- CPA preferred but not required
- Detailed accounting knowledge of GAAP principles such as revenue recognition (deferred and percentage of completion), ASC 606 and IFRS 15
- Advanced Excel skills
- Experience with Quickbooks Online, SaaS Optics, Salesforce integration, (Netsuite or Intaact or similar)
- Self-starter who is seeking to codify and improve accounting processes and be part of a high-functioning finance team that delivers high customer service to other internal APDS teams
Salary and Benefits
- ADPS offers competitive compensation commensurate with experience and a generous benefits package.
Basic Expectations for all APDS Employees
- Belief in APDS’s mission to reduce recidivism and improve the life chances of incarcerated learners and returning citizens
- Be prompt and punctual for work and for meetings with staff and clients
- Follow up on things on your plate; don’t expect others to remind you. Trust others to do the same.
- Take initiative if you realize something needs to be taken care of. We are a team; either do it yourself, or communicate with someone else about it
- Clear, concise, and timely communication is essential.
- Respond to emails and voicemails promptly
Equal Opportunity Employer
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, APDS is committed to creating a workplace that respects and values diversity of cultural, ethnic and experiential backgrounds. We strongly encourage candidates who represent the communities we serve to apply.