Job Function: Washington DC
Location: Washington, DC
Temporary Project Assistant: Democracy and Technology
Only candidates currently residing in Maryland, Virginia, Oregon, California, Illinois or Washington, D.C. will be considered for this opportunity.
The National Democratic Institute for International Affairs (NDI) is looking for an individual with a passion for global political systems and technology to join the Democracy and Technology (DemTech) team. This is a temporary Project Assistant position based in NDI's Washington, DC office.
NDI's DemTech team works around the globe with political experts in NDI's 55+ field offices to design and support technology-enabled programs.. Our work is focused at building a safe, open, democratic information space and giving citizens more voice in their governments and aiding governments in being more responsive to their people. This position would focus on supporting and managing NDI's programs related to information integrity issues
Project Assistants at NDI are given substantive responsibilities and are expected to contribute to the wide-ranging efforts of this team. Project Assistants need to be disciplined self-starters who also need to know when to seek guidance before proceeding. Project Assistants are encouraged to attend learning events like workshops, gaining expertise and connections in this emerging field.
The temporary project assistant position is available beginning in April/May 2021 for a term appointment lasting three months with the possibility of extension for an additional three months based on performance.Responsibilities:
- Assist in technology-powered project design, implementation, testing, documentation and evaluation
- Investigate and share new technologies relevant to civic and political groups
- Assist with the development of materials for and training on information integrity, including social media monitoring, violence against women online, etc.
- Assist with planning, logistics, and invitations for public events
- Monitor technology media, including Twitter, and prepare weekly news round-ups for the team blog
- Assist in writing easy-to-understand instructions and manuals for technology tools
- Coordinate administrative tasks such as travel authorizations and financial reconciliations
- Bachelor's degree required with coursework in political science, international relations computer science, or a relevant subject. A combination of education and experience in lieu of a degree can be considered
- Curiosity about and passion for the impacts of digital media and technology on citizen's lives
- Excellent event planning and organizational skills
- Excellent writing and speaking skills in both formal and informal styles
- Experience studying social media through Crowdtangle or other online research tools and platforms is a plus
- Experience working to address or researching gender and social media; specific experience with online violence against women in politics a plus
- Political, campaign, legislative, international, or NGO experience a plus
- Fluency in a language other than English a plus
Candidates who are able to work 30+ hours a week preferred.Comments:
- Please provide a cover letter and resume.
- Only those applicants under consideration will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Candidates must be legally eligible to work in the U.S. NDI does not provide sponsorship.
NDI welcomes and supports a diverse, inclusive work environment. As such, our commitment is to promote equal employment opportunities (EEO) for all applicants seeking employment and NDI employees. NDI makes employment decisions based on organizational needs, job requirements and individual qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, personal appearance, military status, gender identity or expression, genetic information, political affiliation, educational status, unemployment status, place of residence or business, source of income, or reproductive health decision making. Additionally, harassment or discrimination based on these characteristics will not be tolerated at NDI. To perform the essential functions of this position, reasonable accommodations are available to qualified individuals with disabilities and qualified individuals who have limitations due to pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or medical related condition.
<img src="https://www.click2apply.net/v/qqkDxdSK5MndTxgpfx2kK" />