Hip Hop Caucus | Campaigns & Advocacy Director
Hip Hop Caucus is seeking a flexible and dynamic change agent who is excited about the extensive opportunities (and understands the potential challenges) that come with leading advocacy efforts within a unique environment like Hip Hop Caucus (HHC). The mission of HHC is to use the power of our cultural expression to empower communities who are first and worst impacted by injustice. We focus on addressing core issues impacting underserved and vulnerable communities, with programs and campaigns that support solution-driven community organizing led by today’s young leaders. The core issues we focus on are: Strengthening Democracy, Climate Change and Environmental Justice, Civil and Human Rights, and Economic Justice.
For more information on Hip Hop Caucus, please visit www.hiphopcaucus.org.
The Campaigns and Advocacy Director provides the leadership required to design and launch strategic communications and advocacy campaigns that advance Hip Hop Caucus’ goals and impact. The Director will work closely with the communities served by HHC and will develop and supervise the implementation of integrated programs and campaigns to advance the mission and brand of Hip Hop Caucus. This leader will oversee a team and work to grow an organizing program that builds the power of those who have been historically kept at the margins in HHC’s areas of focus. In addition, the Director will be an external representative for the Hip Hop Caucus through speaking engagements and partnerships with aligned organizations.
Core responsibilities include:
· Develop smart, creative advocacy campaigns that move the conversation about HHC’s areas of focus forward
· Manage and supervise program and campaign staff
· Serve as a departmental thought-leader to determine the department’s strategic vision, set goals, monitor progress, and evaluate outcomes to ensure objectives are met and in line with the needs and mission of the organization
· Ensure integration of grassroots organizing and base building work with nonpartisan electoral and political work to maximize power-building
· Provide strategic programmatic leadership for all facets of our multi-issue civil and human rights agenda and affiliated educational campaigns
· Oversee the efficient drafting and vetting process of campaign and program plans prior to grant submission.
· Build strategic alliances with organizations and individuals to advance the organization’s mission, engages on shared priorities, and exchanges knowledge and information in support of the organization’s programs and initiatives
· Serve as a spokesperson and bridge builder for HHC’s advocacy work
The Director should have experience at a world-class advocacy organization or social-justice company leading teams and digital experiences that inspire change in the world. Ideal candidates will bring experience guiding campaigns, advocating for underserved and vulnerable communities.
Strong candidates will also offer:
· A passion and commitment to the Hip Hop Caucus mission to use the power of our cultural expression to empower communities who are first and worst impacted by injustice
· A clear track record with both strategy development and execution
· Experience working on large scale advocacy campaigns and initiatives
· Deep and demonstrated commitment to cultivating and leveraging networks or large external constituent groups
· A natural affinity for partnership and coalition building
· Excellent people management skills with ability to coach and develop high-performing teams; experience managing remote teams a plus
· High level of cultural competence and experience working across cultures is essential; deep understanding of and experience engaging with multicultural or BIPOC communities of young people (Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X)
· Capable spokesperson and communicator with ability to translate the mission to a wide array of audiences
· At ease navigating between all sectors – nonprofit, government, and corporate – in the United States and globally
· Demonstrated ability to build positive culture and bring diverse groups together toward the achievement of common goals
Compensation & Benefits
This position is based ideally in DC.
The annual salary range for this role is between $90,000-$110,000 based on experience and qualifications. Hip Hop Caucus also offers a generous and comprehensive benefits package.
Koya Leadership Partners, the executive search firm that specializes in mission-driven search, has been exclusively retained for this engagement. Molly Brennan and Amber Brown are leading this search. Make recommendations or express your interest in this role here. All nominations, inquiries, and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
Hip Hop Caucus is an equal opportunity employer. HHC prohibits unlawful discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, age, national origin, genetic characteristics, disability, status as a special disabled veteran or veteran, marital status, sexual orientation, sexual identity or any other basis prohibited
Hip Hop Caucus | Campaigns & Advocacy Director
Hip Hop Caucus is seeking a flexible and dynamic change agent who is excited about the extensive opportunities (and understands the potential challenges) that come with…