District of Columbia
Chief Operating Officer
ABOUT DEMOCRACY FUND
Democracy Fund is a bipartisan foundation that invests in organizations working to ensure that our political system is able to withstand new challenges and deliver on its promise to the American people. We work on things that make democracy work better.
At the heart of our vision for the future are three core commitments: fostering more effective governance in the United States, modernizing our election and campaign finance systems, and strengthening our media and the public square to help people understand and participate in the democratic process. To date, we have committed more than $100 million in support of a healthy democracy.
Out of deep respect for the U.S. Constitution and our nation’s core democratic values, Democracy Fund was established by eBay founder and philanthropist Pierre Omidyar. Incubated inside Omidyar Network, the Democracy Fund launched as an independent foundation in 2014 and is based in Washington, D.C. Learn more about Democracy Fund and our sister 501c4 organization Democracy Fund Voice by visiting www.democracyfund.org and www.democracyfundvoice.org.
Democracy Fund’s Chief Operating Officer (COO) is a new leadership position created at a pivotal moment in the organization’s growth and maturity as a private foundation. The COO will ensure that the organization has the internal leadership, infrastructure, and culture in place to achieve its goals to renew American democracy. A key strategic partner to the President and Board, the COO will be responsible for all internal operational and people functions for Democracy Fund and Democracy Fund Voice, our affiliated 501(c)(4).
The COO will co-create a vision of success for running the organization that inspires staff and creates holistic, adaptive systems to support the organization’s mission and values. The COO will serve as the senior-most financial management officer and will be responsible for ensuring that Democracy Fund continues to innovate and adapt in order to achieve its goals most effectively. S/he will be a partner, coach, and manager to leaders directing the organization’s internal operating systems, including finance, HR, operations, IT, legal, and grants management. At the same time, the COO will be the steward of the organizational values and culture – growing Democracy Fund’s internal leaders and championing the organization’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
The ideal candidate is a world-class leader with a talent for inspiring, developing, and empowering teams. Furthermore, s/he has genuine passion for Democracy Fund’s mission and will bring vision and practical wisdom to all facets of the organization. As a deeply experienced, people-loving problem solver, the COO will possess a high tolerance for ambiguity and a proven track record of balancing creativity with rigor.
· Brings organizational acumen to bear on Democracy Fund’s strategic direction to bring out the best of the dedicated staff
· Refine organizational systems and structures in order to promote cross-team collaboration, communication, and commitment to one another’s success
· Lead and optimize the effectiveness of all internal management councils, ensuring staff on these councils are working to live up to Democracy Fund’s core values and meeting the organization’s strategic vision
· Ensure effective communication of priority issues and projects, including overseeing the production of monthly All Staff meetings, and promoting organizational learning across the organization
· Serve as a member of the organization’s Investment Committee, reviewing and assessing major grant opportunities and providing consultation to program staff on providing best in class support to their grantees
· Partner with the Vice President of Strategy & Program on regular planning, prioritization, and capacity assessment of the organization, and weigh in on major organizational strategic issues as a member of the Strategy Council
· Conduct special projects for the President in partnership with senior staff that prepare Democracy Fund for future stages of its evolution
Operations and Finance
· Own the vision and accountability for the annual performance of the organization’s operations team, promoting customer service, systems, and processes that reflect best practices and enable Democracy Fund to deliver on its mission. Lead, develop, and empower the team leaders and foster a culture of collaboration, learning, and innovation
· Provide financial leadership for Democracy Fund and Democracy Fund Voice, including oversight of annual budgeting and forecasting, finance and accounting policies, financial controls and compliance, as well as aligning systems and policies that support staff stewardship of the organization’s resources
· Oversee the organization’s risk management and compliance responsibilities, implementing policies and systems that ensure the organization adheres to private foundation and social welfare regulations
· Ensure the necessary technology, security protocols, and office infrastructure are in place to support a growing, complex organization
· Oversee the relationship between Democracy Fund and Democracy Fund Voice as well as the development and management of other funds or legal vehicles necessary to advance the overall mission
People, Culture, and DEI
· Lead, mature, and fully integrate all aspects of Democracy Fund’s people functions, ensuring the organization has the human capital needed to meet its mission
· Cultivate a culture that promotes Democracy Fund’s core values of humility, learning, collaboration, integrity, and impact, and support a coaching culture that engenders continual development and growth
· Lead, model, and embed diversity, equity, and inclusion across all areas of Democracy Fund, working through the DEI Council, senior management, and all staff
· Carry out initiatives on best practices in organizational management, performance management, leadership development, workforce planning
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND SKILLS REQUIREMENTS
· Deep passion for strengthening American democracy and comfort working in a bipartisan environment
· 10+ years of senior management experience overseeing finance, human resources, and operations; Bachelor’s degree required; MBA or equivalent experience preferred
· Experienced executive with a passion for managing, developing, and coaching teams; prioritizes building authentic and respectful relationships with all colleagues within an organization
· Effective and persuasive communicator, both oral and written, with exceptional emotional intelligence
· Experience implementing diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives
· Experience with financial forecasting, budgeting, and reporting along with a record of success implementing strategic goals and priorities across an organization
· Working knowledge of philanthropy and nonprofit management is preferred, (c)(4) experience a plus, including knowledge of best practices in operations and grants management
· A strategic, analytical, and tactical thinker, with a demonstrated capacity to successfully problem solve, plan, and facilitate growth in a complex environment
· Confidence and capability to adapt and lead in a fast-paced, changing environment while also navigating ambiguity and change inherent to a young organization
· Possess unquestionable personal and professional integrity, humility, positive demeanor, and a sense of humor
The Democracy Fund is committed to a diverse workplace, seeking voices and expertise from people from across the political spectrum. Our board, staff, advisors, and grantees include Republicans, Democrats, and Independents. The Democracy Fund is an Equal Opportunity Employer, where we encourage candidates of all ages, color, ethnic background, country of origin, religion, disability status, gender, sexual orientation, and gender identity to apply.
Minimum Education Required