Vice President of Finance
- Job posted by Student Sponsor Partners
For over 30 years, Student Sponsor Partners’ (SSP) uniquely integrated program has provided low-income and at-risk students in New York City with the opportunity to get a quality, private high school education. Each SSP student is paired with a Sponsor, who funds their tuition for four years of high school, and a mentor, who serves as a role model and support until graduation day. The combination of a committed Sponsor and a challenging scholastic environment dramatically improves SSP students' prospects, not only for earning their diplomas but also for achieving real and lasting success after high school. SSP’s success is demonstrated through their program metrics:
- 1100 students are currently enrolled in 26 partner schools.
- Since 1986, SSP has funded $64 million in tuition for students.
- SSP has provided over 7,000 low-income students with a quality high school education.
SSP has a full-time staff of 11 and an operating budget of approximately $8 Million. For more information about Student Sponsor Partners, please visit their website at http://sspnyc.org/.
In anticipation of growth and expansion, SSP has created the new Vice President of Finance position to build their fiscal team and bring the currently outsourced finance function in-house. Initially, the VP will review all systems and procedures, work with the outside financial consultants, and spend the first six to twelve months pulling in the finance function. The VP of Finance will be charged with building out the systems, internal controls, chart of accounts, and all of the finance functions for the organization, including benefits, payroll, budgeting, and financial reporting. Reporting directly to the CEO and working closely with both the Finance and Audit Committees, the VP of Finance will be part of the senior team and a partner in creating the necessary infrastructure that will enable SSP to double in size over the next several years.
SSP is looking for someone with an auditing background who has experience building finance departments, upgrading and implementing systems, and integrating finance with both the program and fundraising teams. The VP will have the aptitude to build financial scenarios, coordinate compliance audits, enhance and implement financial controls, reporting, processes, tools and systems.
SSP is a fast-paced culture with a dedicated and passionate team, and is currently fully funded through private donations including individuals, foundations and special events. The VP will build a team by initially hiring a junior accountant and a financial secretary, with the prospect of adding to the team as necessary. This is an opportunity to build a department, hire staff and contribute to a fantastic mission.
- Assess and take an internal audit of the organization’s finances and systems and create a plan to transition the fiscal function internally.
- In partnership with the CEO, engage in strategic thinking for the organization’s short and long-term financial future.
- Develop, implement, and ensure compliance with internal financial and accounting policies and procedures in order to create proper checks and balances and best practices.
- Oversee all financial reporting, including monthly Balance Sheets, P & L Statements, and Cash Flow Scenarios. Ensure sound AP/AR and payroll functions.
- Provide updated and frequent financial and budgeting insights and analysis to the CEO and Finance Committee. Create dashboards and other tools to clearly articulate SSP’s financial position and goals to senior staff and Board leadership.
- Oversee the timely completion and accuracy of audits and other regulatory reporting, working closely with the CEO, Finance and Audit Committees, and outside auditors.
- Establish guidelines for budget and forecast preparation, and prepare the annual budget in consultation with the CEO.
- Collaborate with HR and IT consultants to integrate these functions with finance and the overall organization, with the possibility of eventually overseeing them in-house.
- Bachelor’s degree & CPA required; Master’s degree preferred.
- Experience in public accounting, focusing on nonprofit organizations.
- Expert knowledge of generally accepted accounting practices and principles and of internal control systems, as relevant to nonprofit entities.
- A demonstrated ability in assessing risks, streamlining systems, and reducing expenses.
- Acumen in maintaining accurate financial records and preparing clear and accurate reports for informational, auditing and operational use.
- Understanding of investments and experience managing investment accounts.
- Ability to read, analyze, interpret and explain complex financial data.
- Ability to work independently, prioritizing workflow to meet critical deadlines and paying exceptionally close attention to detail.
- Understanding of systems connected to private fundraising.
- A passion for SSP’s mission and a commitment to providing opportunities for at-risk students.
- Excellent judgment, creative problem-solving and multi-tasking skills.
- Organizational skills with ability to prioritize.
- Energetic, flexible, collaborative and proactive.
- Entrepreneurial spirit with the ability to take initiative.
Minimum Education Required