The Humane Society of the United States is seeking an exceptionally talented and driven leader to serve as its Senior Vice President. The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) is fighting the big fights to end animal suffering. Together with millions of supporters, the organization works tirelessly to end puppy mills, factory farms, the fur trade, trophy hunting, cosmetics animal testing, and other cruel industries. The HSUS rescues and cares for thousands of animals every year through their Animal Rescue Team’s work and other hands-on animal care services. They fight all forms of animal cruelty to achieve the vision behind their name: A humane society!
The organization is seeking a committed and ambitious Senior Vice President to manage the overall planning, budgeting, staffing, and evaluation for the Animal Rescue, Care, and Sanctuary Department including, all Sanctuary Centers, the animal rescue team, and associated access to care and response programs. This role will take the lead in overseeing the Cleveland Amory Black Beauty Ranch, Duchess Sanctuary, Second Chance Chimpanzee Refuge Liberia, the U.S. Animal Rescue, and Response team, and their access to care work including Rural Area Veterinary Services, Pets for Life, and Spayathon. The SVP will play an integral role in guiding and inspiring a team of talented staff while collaborating with team members at all levels to ensure the teamwork of multiple program and functional entities.
Key Senior Vice President Responsibilities:
· Manage the development and implementation of business and management processes and policies across the department to ensure clarity, consistency, and effectiveness in support of the organization’s performance, operational excellence, and customer services.
· Continually review internal operations and processes and identify opportunities and execute changes for improvement.
· Promote and reinforce a performance culture and the attainment of goals by communicating and building commitment to corporate strategic direction and ensuring clarity around performance targets and expectations.
· Make certain responsibilities, authority, and accountability of all direct reports are defined and understood. Ensure that staff set and achieve goals that align with the overall strategy and function of the organization, and provide staff with guidance and advice, training, performance management, leadership development, as well as career development and succession planning.
· Assist philanthropy with fundraising efforts for the department including, donor cultivation, grants, and digital campaigns to achieve critical department and organizational goals.
· Influence and build relationships with a network of internal and external stakeholders in support of the overall effectiveness of the organization's operations.
· Set and direct the overall strategy of departmental programs as well as facilitate efforts of the directors of each program including, handling needed approvals, acquisitions, and bureaucratic requirements to ensure efficient operations.
· Develop and oversee the budgets of each program with full accountability while ensuring budgets and resource allocations align with the priorities of each program and the organization.
· Represent the organization and department at various forums, including professional meetings, conferences, and workshops. Serve on boards, committees, and councils as needed.
· Genuine passion and deep appreciation for ending the cruelest practices toward all animals.
· 15+ years of experience overseeing direct care programs, animal sanctuaries, large-scale animal cruelty responses, or similar experience required.
· Experience with the direct handling of animals is highly preferred.
· Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience required; advanced degree preferred.
· Awareness and understanding of approaches to self-care and care of teams working in emotionally challenging and high-stress environments. Ability to model and support effective self-care, and work-life integration.
· Experience utilizing proper safety precautions with animals during high-risk situations including natural disasters.
· Must have strong change management, strategic planning, program management, as well as business and nonprofit operations knowledge.
· Demonstrable experience in implementing program strategies and facilitating organizational change management.
· Expertise leading and supporting a high-performance team including developing and implementing operational processes, strategy development and execution, and preparing and managing budgets.
· A humble and hands-on nonprofit leader who’s willing to roll up their sleeves to get the job done while thriving in a broadly defined and autonomous environment.
· Proven ability to cultivate long-term genuine relationships with donors and community partners; proven success in building collaborative networks and relationships across sectors.
· A charismatic and visionary leader who is skilled at facilitating meetings, giving presentations, and speaking publicly at events.
· Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
· The ability to work long hours in crisis situations.
· This position is comprised of travel between 25% to 30% of the time, with travel being mostly domestic and periodically international to Liberia.
The Humane Society of the United States is seeking an exceptionally talented and driven leader to serve as its Senior Vice President. The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) is fighting the big fights to end animal suffering. Together…
This exciting opportunity offers the ability to make a significant impact as a leader at a premier animal welfare organization dedicated to ending animal cruelty globally. Starting compensation includes a competitive annual salary dependent on experience, plus a full benefits package. Paid vacation, holidays, and sick time as well as medical, dental, vision, pet care reimbursement, pawternity leave, and education reimbursement are also included. The 401K has a current match program that grows with tenure.
This exciting opportunity offers the ability to make a significant impact as a leader at a premier animal welfare organization dedicated to ending animal cruelty globally…
Review of applications, nominations, and expressions of interest will begin immediately and continue on a confidential basis until an appointment is made. Nominations, applications, and inquiries should be sent in confidence to:
Please address applications to:
Elizabeth Crimmins, Senior Executive Recruiter
Scion Executive Search
For immediate consideration please apply with your resume and cover letter via http://scionstaffing.com/jobportal/ - /jobs/7391.
About Our Firm:
Scion Executive Search is a retained executive search firm connecting executive nonprofit leadership to nonprofit organizations and foundations across the country. Born out of the nonprofit sector, we provide expert search strategies and leadership to benefit your organization. Our executive candidates are true agents for change, and we are experts at matching their talents, motivations, and passions to your organization’s mission! Scion Executive Search has led hundreds of successful executive searches; information on our firm is available online for review via http://www.scionexecutivesearch.com.
Scion is an equal opportunity employer and service provider committed to not discriminate based on age, race, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, citizenship status, sexual orientation, disability, political affiliation or belief, or any other protected class. We are committed to the principles of Equal Opportunity Employment and are dedicated to making employment decisions based on merit and value, for ourselves, our client companies, and the candidates we represent.
Review of applications, nominations, and expressions of interest will begin immediately and continue on a confidential basis until an appointment is made. Nominations…