The Partnership for Public Service is a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization with a compelling mission: we are working to help make the federal government a more dynamic, innovative and effective servant of the American people, and we have a great team that helps make it happen.
Our staff is diverse in experience and perspective, but at our core, we share a lot of the same traits. We are mission-driven, creative, collaborative, optimistic and inclusive.
Our work is strategic, fast-paced and guided by our values:
- Passion for public service and our work toward a more effective government
- People who promote a culture of learning, leadership, collaboration, inclusion and respect
- Persistence to drive change, take strategic risks and deliver results
- Promise to be trustworthy, nonpartisan and fiscally responsible
We hire smart and friendly people who are great at what they do and are good to one another in the process.
The Partnership for Public Service is seeking a strategic, results-oriented and experienced communications professional to play a key role in its new initiative, the Alliance for Congress. Launching in 2021, the Alliance for Congress will promote public service and effective government by helping Congress become a healthier institution and a more capable steward of the executive branch. We envision a well-functioning Congress that will:
- Solve problems through nonpartisan legislation and oversight
- Work effectively with executive branch leaders
- Invest in its own capacity to learn, legislate and lead
- Earn the trust and support of the public
Reporting to the Alliance for Congress Communications Director, the Press Secretary will help implement the Alliance for Congress communications strategy, build and manage media relationships, lead proactive media engagements and contribute to the initiative’s marketing and digital engagement efforts. This position will also engage in strategic outreach efforts aimed at building and engaging an alliance of diverse organizations working to empower, strengthen and fix Congress.
The Press Secretary will work as part of an interdisciplinary communications team of marketing, graphic design, social media, editorial, media, and events staff, and as a result should be able to collaborate with others and contribute ideas.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work with the Alliance for Congress Communications Director to execute a communications strategy for the Alliance for Congress. Engage with the Alliance for Congress team to develop strategies that support the initiative’s goals
- Develop a media relations plan to proactively target key reporters, producers, and columnists about the Alliance for Congress and its allies
- Serve as the primary point of contact for all media inquiries about the Alliance for Congress
- Develop a wide range of communications materials including press releases, media advisories, talking points, communications plans, official statements, brochures and blog posts
- Cultivate and develop relationships with key influencers to build long-term familiarity with the Alliance for Congress, its director and allies
- Engage the Alliance for Congress’ allied organizations. Stay apprised of their activities and seek opportunities to inject and elevate their voices in the initiative’s work and align to the broader conversation
- Cultivate, deploy and amplify a broader network of third-party validators who can lend their credibility and expertise to the Alliance for Congress’ work
- Under the direction of the Communications Director, promote a grassroots advocacy program that includes social marketing components and activates diverse voices from across the country in the conversation around strengthening Congress
- Build and develop relationships with communication representatives from congressional offices and other partner organizations in support of the Alliance for Congress’ key initiatives
- Contribute to the initiative’s marketing, digital and social media efforts
- Make use of a wide range of tactics to increase the visibility, credibility and influence of the Alliance for Congress and its allies
- Superior written and verbal communications skills
- Successful development of media relations strategies, a proven track record of pitching and earning national and trade media coverage
- Strong news judgment
- Experience crafting and delivering external messaging via multiple channels
- Effective storyteller who is adept at translating complex concepts into compelling messages for different key audiences
- Demonstrated success working in a fast-paced environment, juggling multiple projects and meeting tight deadlines
- Strong proofreading skills, strong eye for detail and concern for quality
- A critical thinker with sound judgment and political savviness
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to handle challenges and obstacles with tact, diplomacy and flexibility
- Experience working collaboratively with internal teams and external partners
- Strongly motivated by the mission of the Partnership for Public Service and the Alliance for Congress
REQUIRED/PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations or equivalent professional work or military experience
- Minimum of five years’ experience in media relations and strategic communications, preferably working on Capitol Hill, other federal agencies, with other public officials, on political campaigns or with a political or advocacy organization
- Experience developing and maintaining professional relationships with media and journalist, especially in Washington, DC preferred
- An ability to grasp complex issues and translate those issues into persuasive and easy-to-understand language
- A willingness to be available after business hours as needed to keep pace with busy news cycles
- Familiarity with Cision preferred
SALARY: $80K-$100K (Commensurate with experience)
LOCATION: Washington, DC
HOURS: Full time, Permanent
We’d love to hear from you.
The Partnership for Public Service has retained Careers In Nonprofits to help with this hire. Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Press Secretary, Alliance for Congress” in the subject line.
Know someone who would be a great fit? Feel free to send us their resume as well.
About Careers In Nonprofits
Careers In Nonprofits is a seven-time award winning Best of Staffing recruiting firm, exclusively serving the nonprofit sector. Since 2006 we have provided temporary, temp to hire, and direct hire services to over 600 nonprofit organizations throughout the US. Our mission is to connect the best people with the best causes. We successfully fulfill this mission by identifying client needs and candidates career goals, matching them through a proven search process that works. For more information, please visit our website at www.careersinnonprofits.com.