Social Media Coordinator – National Office
Founded in 2003, GiGi's Playhouse Inc.’s mission is to change the way the world views Down syndrome and send a global message of acceptance for all. We profoundly change lives through national campaigns, educational programs, and by empowering individuals with Down syndrome, their families, and the community. All programs are free and are therapeutic or educational in nature. Each one of our programs is designed to work on specific skill development, including speech and language, literacy, socialization, and fine and gross motor skills. GiGi’s Playhouse currently has over 50 locations across North America and is growing by several locations annually.
The Social Media Coordinator is responsible for social media content strategy and creation across the organization. Operating as part of the Marketing department and reporting to the Content Director, the position will be conversant in all aspects of the organization and continuously create compelling content that fulfills marketing goals. The Social Media Coordinator builds strong bonds with the organization’s namesake, GiGi Gianni, and Chief Belief Officer Nancy Gianni, to create flourishing sub-brands.
This position has these key goals:
- Create compelling social media content that advances organizational goals and maximizes engagement
- Ensure social media content is “current,” by leveraging emerging trends and platforms
- Expertly manage timelines and project plans
Essential Job Functions:
- Content creation
- Write and edit all social media content, including original GiGi’s content, shared content, and social media interactions with related organizations and individuals.
- Approach the life of the organization with both a journalist’s and a storyteller’s mindset, creating social media content that is informative and engaging.
- Evolve all of the organization’s social media channels, including for the national office, GiGi Gianni, Nancy Gianni (Chief Belief Officer), and other forthcoming accounts.
- Occasionally accompany key brand ambassadors to events and other commitments, producing social media content in real time.
- Incorporate global, national, and regional trends into content.
- Monitor social media metrics (followers, etc.) to ensure content is effectively engaging and growing our audience
- Keeps a finger on the pulse of the broader social media landscape, making recommendations on how to leverage emerging platforms
- Content strategy
- Fulfill all social media aspects of the department’s overall content strategy
- Build productive partnerships with social media influencers to spread the GiGi’s brand
- Partner with marketing staff to ensure platforms are effectively serving as part of our overall digital, content, and branding strategy
Reports to: Content Director
Work Location and Hours: Job is located in Hoffman Estates, IL. Work schedule includes heavy evening and weekend work at times.
The Social Media Coordinator must enjoy working within an entrepreneurial environment that is mission-driven, results-driven and community oriented. The following competencies describe the ideal candidate.
- Communication Exceptionally strong written and oral communication skills with ability to express ideas and thoughts verbally; writes clearly and inspirationally; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods.
- Analytical - Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data; Designs work flows and procedures.
- Planning/Organizing: Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; Develops realistic action plans.
- Adaptability and Calm Under Pressure: Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events. Maintains stable performance when under heavy pressure or stress.
- Collaboration: Ability to work collaboratively and professionally with staff, board members, committee members, volunteers, families, and donors. Ability to work collaboratively within the community; expand networking opportunities for GiGi’s Playhouse. Exhibits good listening and comprehension.
- Efficiency and Initiative: Able to produce significant output with minimal wasted effort. Proactively anticipates needs and works to solve issues before they arise. Takes prompt action; is a total self-starter, taking independent actions and calculated risks to take advantage of opportunities.
- Judgment: Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Does not hesitate to make timely decisions on challenging matters and has confidence in decision-making abilities. Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process. Sound judgment results in decisions that are consistently on target.
- Problem Solving: Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; resourceful; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; open minded and flexible; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Dependability: Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Follow-Through: Impeccably follows through on all action items and deliverables such that there are no surprises in schedule, meetings, travel or appearances.
- Use of Technology: Adapts to new technologies; Demonstrates required skills; Keeps technical skills up to date. Troubleshoots technological problems; Uses technology to increase productivity.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Education and/or Experience: One to two years of experience managing social media professionally. Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university required.
- Impeccable Writing and Editing: Ability to craft content that is clear, concise, compelling, correct, and current. High-level writing and editing skills are a must.
- Knowledge of Trends: Ability to monitor global, national, and regional trends in social media, and adapt accordingly.
- Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret instructions and complex correspondence. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints. Ability to effectively present information to top management and/or boards of directors.
- Computer Skills: To perform this job successfully, an individual should be very comfortable using a broad array of programs, including advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Teams, and OneNote). Ability to work proficiently in (or quickly learn) a database program (Salesforce) to manage contacts and run reports.
- Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include ability to adjust focus.
- Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
GiGi’s Playhouse Core Values: GiGi’s challenges all staff and volunteers to embody the following core values:
- Enthusiasm: Bringing positive, high energy to our work.
- Best of All: Always looking to improve in all that we do. Challenge yourself every day.
- Get It Done: Making things happen and blasting through barriers when needed; figure it out.
- Believe: Believe in ourselves, believe in our mission, believe we can achieve all that we set out to achieve.
- Locally Concerned, Enterprise Minded: To best serve our local communities, we share our location’s best practices and have the humility to leverage the collective learnings from across the GiGi’s network.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. All duties and responsibilities are essential functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbents will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, or abilities. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.