- Job posted by New Jersey Policy Perspective
ABOUT NEW JERSEY POLICY PERSPECTIVE
A strong strategic voice.
New Jersey Policy Perspective (NJPP) is the go-to institution in the Garden State for accurate, evidence-based, independent research and analysis that drives policy change to advance economic justice and prosperity for all New Jerseyans. Since its founding in 1997, NJPP has made strategic use of information, communications and advocacy to influence the public conversation on behalf of policies that achieve broad-based economic security and sustainability in New Jersey. The organization is well known to legislative and executive branch policymakers, journalists and advocates across the state.
NJPP is a “think-and-do tank” with an operational understanding that coming up with common-sense, innovative ideas is just the beginning of its mission. When analysis of a specific issue is complete, the organization engages in communications and outreach to get its work into the hands of the policymakers, advocates and partners who are best positioned to use it to improve lives and bolster the state's economic prospects. This consistent emphasis on blending policy research with strategic communications and outreach is key to NJPP's effectiveness and has made it a national leader among state policy organizations.
NJPP's efforts reflect the following principles:
- Government has an active role to play in helping people and communities reach their full potential.
- Public investment and transparent government practices are essential to securing prosperity for all.
- A strong public sector is the cornerstone of a civil society.
NJPP has played a crucial role in advancing important progressive state policies: an expanded Earned Income Tax Credit, taking full advantage of the Affordable Care Act, the adoption of Paid Family Leave, improving help for people struggling to get by through strengthening SNAP and TANF, sensible reforms of corporate subsidies, increased opportunities for undocumented residents, statewide Earned Sick Days, increases in the minimum wage and a fairer tax code that enables the public investment that helps communities thrive.
For more information on NJPP, please visit www.njpp.org.
NJPP seeks a leader who understands New Jersey's political and institutional framework and can work effectively to make the system responsive. The President is expected to take a leadership role in the day-to-day operations of the organization, including first and foremost:
- Maintaining NJPP's standards of universal accuracy and reliable analysis.
- Raising the funds necessary to support NJPP's continued growth and collaborating with coalition partners to expand the organization's visibility, relevance and impact.
The President will report directly to the Board of Directors. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Collaborate with the Board and staff to shape the organization for its next chapter of relevancy and success. Distinguish and celebrate what makes NJPP unique, build on its strengths and provide inspired direction. The outcome will be beneficial public policies that stem from a strong organization with a continued key leadership role in New Jersey.
- Represent the organization effectively in the public arena and share its mission and vision in a compelling fashion. A key priority is to raise the profile and visibility of the organization and its work.
- Develop a strong and transparent working relationship with the Board and ensure open and ongoing communication.
- Cultivate key donor relationships with individuals, ally organizations and philanthropic foundations, raising the funds required to increase NJPP's impact.
- Build NJPP's brand and serve as a leading representative of NJPP's mission with donors, elected officials, policymakers, partners and news media.
- Identify, develop and engage key staff who can effectively deliver NJPP's message and further the organization's development goals.
- Serve as an effective leader, supporter and motivator to NJPP's first-rate professional staff. Effectively galvanize the energy and commitment of the staff, working with them to advance their professional growth and intellectual interests as they perform their roles at the highest level. Ensure roles and responsibilities align with staff expectations and experience.
- Foster the development and management of a professional and efficient organization, empower the staff through effective delegation of authority and establish decision-making processes that will enable NJPP to achieve its long- and short-term goals and objectives.
The ideal candidate will be a dynamic and inclusive leader who is passionate about and dedicated to the mission of promoting widespread prosperity and is politically savvy, resilient and collaborative. Successful candidates will have a demonstrated record of effective leadership and fundraising, as well as managerial success and financial management in the nonprofit or public sector.
The next President will possess the following qualities, attributes and characteristics:
Strategic and Visionary Leadership
The President is a strategic, energetic and influential leader who can develop and articulate an inspiring, persuasive, relatable vision for NJPP's next chapter. The President will strategically seek out partnerships and strengthen coalitions to advance its mission and strategic priorities. The President will build on NNJP's unique place in New Jersey's public affairs and both recognize and make the most of all opportunities to influence policy.
A Passionate Ambassador and Fundraiser
The President is ambitious and experienced in establishing strong working relationships in furtherance of an organization's mission. The ideal candidate has strong people skills and can move comfortably and confidently among people from all backgrounds. The President will possess outstanding communication abilities – and the desire and capacity to improve them, developing a powerful sense of shared purpose in others and motivating them to work together. The President will appreciate the importance of fundraising and be able to enthusiastically convey the value of NJPP's work to existing and potential new funding sources, including major donors, foundations and allied organizations.
The President is a leader experienced in managing staff, operations and finances. The President brings a demonstrated ability to set clear priorities, delegate and guide investment in people and systems. The President has keen analytic, organizational and problem-solving skills that support and enable sound decision-making and empower others to contribute to the overall success of an organization. The President understands and implements best nonprofit management practices and planning, ensuring that day-to-day operations are aligned with strategic goals. The President understands the importance of a robust partnership with the Board and will ensure fiduciary responsibility and sound financial management practices and accountability to the Board.
Passion for the Mission
The President conveys a sense of urgency around the critical challenges facing New Jersey, a commitment to the development of new knowledge and an understanding of the importance of NJPP's role in influencing policy-making. The President thinks ahead to issues and opportunities beyond the short-term perspectives that govern most political leadership. The ideal candidate is an individual of unquestioned integrity, ethics and values; someone who can be trusted without reservation and who approaches the mission with a sense of optimism and equanimity.
Trisha Sutrisno of Koya Leadership Partners is exclusively retained for this search. To express your interest in this role, please submit a thorough resume and compelling letter of interest here. All inquiries and discussions will be strictly confidential.
New Jersey Policy Perspective is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women and LGBTQ applicants.
ABOUT KOYA LEADERSHIP PARTNERS
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained executive search and human capital consulting firm that works exclusively with nonprofits and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations and ensuring that organizations have the resources and strategies to support them. For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/gdrynn2pj22sknrk
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply