District of Columbia
TenSquare is a national charter school support organization that works alongside schools to make lasting and measurable change. TenSquare works in partnership with school leaders to help them navigate the charter accountability landscape, grow and thrive in an increasingly competitive charter school environment, and improve student outcomes. Our strategic, hands-on engagements have led to significant gains in student achievement and organizational performance as measured by state exams and authorizer report cards.
We are continuously looking for strong Assistant Principals to work for our partner schools. Assistant Principals typically oversee a grade-level band: Early Childhood (PreK3-2), Elementary (3-6), Middle School (6-8), or High School (9-12).
ABOUT THE POSITION
An Assistant Principal is a member of the school leadership team who collaborates with fellow leaders to design, implement, and manage the implementation of the school turnaround project. The ideal candidate will bring demonstrated experience mentoring adults, designing curriculum, and increasing student achievement, as well as an interest in personal growth and development.
Under the guidance of the school leader, an Assistant Principal will perform specific responsibilities that include, but are not limited to:
- Talent and CultureCollaborate with the other school leaders to develop, monitor and maintain high academic and behavioral expectations for all students and teachers.
- Coach, supervise, and evaluate staff through informal classroom visits, regular formal and informal classroom observations, lesson plan review, and written evaluations for instructional staff;
- Identify professional development priorities and design plans for instructional staff;
- Facilitate Professional Learning Communities (PLCs);
- Support a cohort of new teachers with instructional delivery and classroom management;
- Participate in the recruitment and hiring of academic staff (teachers, instructional assistants, coaches, etc.).
- Student AchievementCollaborate with key staff to administer interim assessments and required state assessments;
- Drive revision of instructional plans in response to assessment data;
- Facilitate the examination of data for the purpose of teacher reflection, improved practice, and programmatic changes;
- Implement academic interventions including curricular and program adjustments for students;
- OperationsSupport the development of a master schedule;
- Coordinate and schedule coverage for absent teachers;
- Oversee student programming including field trips and student performances;
- Communicate the message of standards-driven teaching and learning to parents/guardians, staff, and students; and
- Complete other duties as outlined by the school leadership.
- Successful candidates will possess the following qualifications: Experience with one or more of the following is preferred:
- Leading professional development for teachers;
- Working with teachers to increase rigor in lesson plans and course curriculum;
- Mentoring and coaching adults to excellence;
- Conducting formal evaluations of teachers;
- Comfort synthesizing and prioritizing data to solve problems and develop strategies to achieve ambitious academic goals;
- Strong problem-solving, critical thinking, and analytic skills;
- Familiarity with Common Core State Standards;
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills;
- A demonstrated passion for advancing educational opportunities in low-income communities; extensive knowledge of the charter school movement, while extremely valuable, is not required for this position;
- At least two years of classroom teaching experience;
- An advanced degree in K-12 school administration, curriculum & instruction, or a related field with strong academic preparation, preferred.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
TenSquare provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, TenSquare complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.