The Chief People Officer is responsible for developing and executing UTEC’s human resources strategy, specifically in the areas of employee well-being, continuous workforce improvement, and planning, talent acquisition, change management, performance management, succession planning, management training, and policy development and compliance. The position will act as a strategic advisor to senior leadership on a variety of issues, including leadership development and talent management.
- Provide direct supervision and ensure individuals in the following positions can identify the impact of their role on agency-wide goals and metrics for success:
- Human Resources Generalist
- Director of DEI
- Direct supervision includes but is not limited to
- Individual meetings with direct reports on a weekly or bi-weekly basis
- Providing ongoing feedback on progress as well as any performance concerns
- Perform an annual written performance review with each direct report
Provide leadership and expertise including organizational effectiveness and change, talent acquisition and management, performance management, and the onboarding experience for new staff.
- HR Administration and Performance Management
- Manages all HR administration, including the organization’s benefits programs, and provides payroll support to the Finance department. Manages relationships with benefits brokers, coordinates annual Open Enrollment, and addresses employee benefits questions. Proposes additional benefit options pertinent to the organization’s workforce.
- Communicates openly and frequently, keeping staff informed on benefit resources, organizational events and other pertinent information.
- Assists the Senior Staff Managers in resolving complex employee relations issues, including engaging legal support where necessary. Where applicable, conduct effective, thorough and objective investigations.
- Provides performance management guidance to personnel managers and supports them in carrying out their responsibilities on personnel matters (coaching, mentoring professional development, and disciplinary actions).
- Supports Executive Management in the annual review, preparation and administration of the organization’s compensation program. This includes conducting a salary study and the establishment of salary ranges and salary planning processes. Provides input on department restructures, workforce planning and succession planning.
- Maintains in-depth knowledge of changing employment regulations and implements policies, procedures, and systems to ensure federal and state regulatory compliance to reduce the organization’s legal risks.
- Implements and maintains the Kronos human resource information system and implements other technology and procedural improvements to streamline the HR function.
- Organizational Effectiveness
- Reviews and makes recommendations to the Senior Leadership Team for improvement of the organization’s policies, procedures, and practices in workforce management.
- Proactively engages employees to improve working relationships, build morale,
- and increase productivity and retention.
- Maintains knowledge of industry trends and best practices in workforce development and change management.
- Assesses organizational needs and recommends staff development for the organization.
- Talent Acquisition and Onboarding
- Serves as the lead on talent acquisition for all staff positions and collaborates with managers on crafting job descriptions, posts open positions, and screens applicants to identify top candidates.
- Designs and develops key staff management training schedules and assists managers in creating development and training plans for staff
- Deep understanding of current HR trends in compensation, benefits, and performance evaluation frameworks and fluency with primary HR functions (employee relations, HR administration, and compliance); experience must include hands-on responsibility for the full scope of benefits activities and experience in revising policies to meet the need of changing organizational needs.
- Understanding of best practices and experience in building inclusive and engaged workplaces; cultural awareness and sensitivity with the lens on racial and gender equity
- Ability to deal with conflict effectively and to manage difficult employee relations situations confidently and calmly
- Proven influencer and demonstrated ability to coach and counsel both executive-level management and employees in sensitive situations
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, strong customer service orientation, and the ability to partner effectively with all levels of the organization, including expectation setting. The ability to influence through listening, writing, and presenting
- Excellent analytical skills, attention to detail and accuracy, and strong work ethic. Proven track record of excellent follow-through and execution in a demanding, high growth environment
- Excellent leadership, motivational, and organizational skills
- Thinks broadly, recognizing the impact of decisions and actions on the entire organization and its customers. Displays willingness to make decisions, exhibits sound and accurate judgment and makes timely decisions
- Consistently make good decisions through a combination of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment
- Resourceful and able to find creative solutions, thinking beyond current systems and approaches toward continual improvement
- Desire to be part of a hardworking, collaborative, fun, and values-driven team
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in HR or Psychology; Master’s degree in HR or business- related field of study preferred
- 7+ years of HR generalist experience or some combination of specialized expertise and generalist experience, with extensive exposure to benefit administration, employee relations, talent and performance management, and recruitment. Preferably 5 years of experience as HR Director in a fast-paced organization
- PHR; SPHR strongly preferred
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times
- Able to travel as needed