Senior Manager of Communications & Marketing
- Job posted by The Golden Triangle Business Improvement District (BID)
District of Columbia
Founded in 1997, the Golden Triangle Business Improvement District (BID) encompasses 43 square blocks in Washington DC’s central business district. Situated just north of the White House, the BID implements a wide variety of programs and initiatives to support the neighborhood’s status as a premier business destination and a global attraction. The BID’s programs include fundamentals such as street cleaning, emergency preparedness, and homeless outreach, as well as others such as events and activation, capital projects, urban planning, retail attraction, and economic development.
The BID is a non-profit 501(c)(6) corporation with twelve employees and a broad mission. It is funded by assessments on commercial properties and is governed by an elected Board of Directors. The Golden Triangle is currently one of 10 business improvement districts in the District of Columbia. It also maintains an affiliate relationship with the Golden Triangle Charitable Corporation, a newly formed 501(c)(3) charitable corporation.
The Golden Triangle BID is seeking a strategic, high energy, results-oriented, and experienced communications and marketing professional who believes strongly in the BID’s mission. The Senior Manager of Communications & Marketing will develop and manage a comprehensive program that promotes the BID’s many programs to a wide group of audiences. The Senior Manager of Communications & Marketing reports to the Executive Director and manages two direct staff and several contractors who provide graphic design, web, and media relations support.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develops and manages a strategic and comprehensive communications program that includes marketing, media relations, digital media, and community relations to support BID goals.
- Tells the story of the BID area and organization to a wide range of audiences and through a wide range of outlets, including the media, printed collateral, social media, annual reports, and visual identity/branding on the street.
- Manages two direct staff and several contractors including graphic designers, media relations firm, website support, and others.
- Works with other BID personnel to understand the BID’s many programs and initiatives in order to identify communications opportunities. These other programs include planning, sponsorship and development, operations, emergency preparedness, and events and activation.
- Reviews all BID messages, events, promotions, and partnerships to ensure that they align with the BID’s strategic goals and reflect a positive brand image.
- Works with the real estate community, including developers and brokers, to support economic development and attraction of office and retail tenants.
- Builds relationships with retailers, media, government agencies, and other key partners such as Washington DC Economic Partnership and Destination DC.
- 5 years of related professional experience (not including internships) that includes a mixture of marketing, public relations, electronic communications, and publication production.
- At least 2 years of experience directly managing full time staff; proven experience managing contractors and projects.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; strong editing skills; strong eye for design; strong interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to produce high quality, well designed marketing materials on a tight timeline.
- Strong leadership skills, a self-starter, passionate communicator, and a strong commitment to the BID’s mission.
- Flexibility and ability to respond to a crisis; ability to work in a high-energy, fast-paced environment, where priorities are constantly changing.
- Journalism experience and/or public relations experience supporting a government organization, or a utility is a plus. Public relations experience in the areas of economic development, urban planning, or agency operations a plus.
- WordPress, Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign a plus.
- Bachelor’s Degree in journalism, communications, marketing or a related field.
Minimum Education Required