Program Coordinator - Part-Time (50% FTE)
- Job posted by California Institute of Integral Studies
California Institute of Integral Studies (CIIS) is an internationally-recognized leader in integral education. CIIS has an enrollment of more than 1,500 students pursuing degrees in a variety of academic programs in its schools of Consciousness and Transformation, Professional Psychology and Health, Undergraduate Studies, and American College of Traditional Chinese Medicine (ACTCM). In addition, CIIS hosts a vibrant art exhibition program through The Arts at CIIS, and offers a dynamic array of events through its Public Programs division, including workshops, lectures, and certificate programs. The University provides affordable mental health and acupuncture services to the San Francisco Bay Area through its ten award-winning clinics. CIIS is accredited by the Western Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC) and Accreditation Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine (ACAOM).
The ESR Program Coordinator provides administrative support to the Program Chair and assists with planning and coordination of the ESR program, and its signature event, the Religion & Ecology Summit. The ESR Program Coordinator is the primary administrative contact for current and prospective students, faculty, and CIIS administrative staff. The ESR Program Coordinator must be a highly motivated, detail-oriented, entrepreneurial, independent worker, capable of identifying opportunities and acting on them in consultation with the Program Chair to build and expand the reach of the ESR program.
The duties of the Program Coordinator include: planning an annual conference; answering phones and emails; maintaining files, databases, and documents; updating websites, MyCIIS, Canvas, and social media; updating the program handbook; notetaking at program meetings; posting syllabi, handouts, etc. on MyCIIS and Canvas; maintaining email lists; participating in Info Sessions; assisting with program development; participating in faculty search processes; participating in program assessment process; overseeing diversity assessment process; processing check requests; supervising Student Workers; organizing ESR events; and additional duties as requested.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Coordinate Religion and Ecology Summit (50%)
The Religion & Ecology Summit is ESR's signature public event, occurring each spring for the past three years, and attracting 100 scholars and activists annually. The Program Coordinator is the primary architect of this annual conference, under the supervision of the Program Chair. The Program Coordinator will:
- Work with CIIS departments to secure space
- Plan agenda in collaboration with Program Chair and Forum on Religion & Ecology
- Conduct outreach to secure speakers; handle speaker and moderator logistics
- Create Summit website
- Create system for ticket sales and RSVPs
- Publicize Summit
- Secure refreshments, A/V equipment, and other supplies for Summit event
- Organize and supervise student volunteers
- Oversee production of Summit event
- Supervise film project
- Conduct follow-up with speakers and participants throughout the spring and summer to build Religion & Ecology community in the Bay Area; begin planning 2020 Summit
- Other duties as needed to produce an outstanding event
Administrative and Program Development (35%)
- Actively participate in and take minutes for ESR relevant meetings.
- Update and maintain the following official documents: ESR course list/ calendar, ESR curriculum, ESR course descriptions, ESR Student Handbook, ESR pages of CIIS Catalog
- Review new applicant files, transfer to faculty review, and track admissions
- Liaison to ESR adjunct faculty, TAs, and RAs
- Create two-year, one-year, and current semester course calendars
- Collect teaching times, room requests, and course descriptions from faculty to create Schedule of Classes
- Maintain updated AY grid with Provost's office
- Supervise the ESR program Office Assistant/ Student Worker
- Maintain student and alumni records
- Maintain ESR list serves and the online environment, including ESR website, MyCIIS, Canvas
- Social media outreach
- Track of all relevant program deadlines, and assist Program Chair in meeting them
- Distribute relevant information and opportunities to ESR students via email, including course deadline reminders, publication and conference opportunities, talks, etc.
- Manage ESR events calendar, create and distribute electronic and paper flyers
- Coordinate all aspects of ESR events, including, but not limited to: dissertation defenses, program parties, annual retreat, public talks by visiting scholars, and ESR Graduation Ritual
- Attend ESR events which might be held outside regular working hours
- Assist with off-site course administration, such as payment, liability, and other aspects as needed
Student Support (15%)
- Prospective Students
- Respond to inquiries and track prospective students (in coordination with Admissions Office)
- Maintain contact with new admits and coordinate New Student Orientation
- Serve as primary point of contact with Admissions Office
- Attend and participate in the CIIS Open Houses and ESR Information Sessions (2-3x/semester)
- Current Students
- Convey Institute-wide policies and procedures, and liaison with other CIIS departments as necessary
- Assist and advise doctoral students with dissertation process and administration
- Liaise with faculty on issues of student interest and/or problems
- Provide limited informal advising of all students regarding curriculum
- Direct students to other campus resources as necessary
- Minimum two years of administrative experience and a BA/BS, or equivalent experience and education
- Ability to undertake independent work, and to collaborate effectively with a team
- Understanding of the graduate academic environment and confidentiality issues
- Sound organizational and interpersonal skills to maintain an efficient program in an independent manner
- Office management skills: excellent oral and written communication, word processing, spreadsheets, internet and social media skills, sense of humor
- Ability to interact with students, faculty, staff, and the outside community with diplomacy and tact
- Ability to operate under pressure and assign priority to work needs coming from a number of individuals
- Ability to represent the ESR program to a range of internal and external constituents with poise and professionalism
- Familiarity with the ESR mission and curriculum, academic expertise the field of Religion and Ecology, and entrepreneurial spirit to build the program
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with skills and experience.
NOTES TO CANDIDATE
- Working Conditions -- Duties are primarily performed in an office environment at a desk or computer terminal, typically, Monday through Friday.
- Background Check -- Due to the sensitivity and requirements of our positions, you should expect to undergo and be cleared of an employment background/criminal check, if extended an offer for employment. You may also be asked to provide proof of educational degree(s), licenses or credentials pertinent to the position. If your job requires driving on behalf of CIIS you will be required to provide proof of a valid driver's license.
- Visa Sponsorship -- Visa sponsorship is not available for this position. Applicants must currently be authorized to work in the United States for any employer.
- Relocation Assistance -- This position is not eligible for relocation assistance.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY POLICY
CIIS is committed to providing an open, fair, inclusive, non-discriminatory environment for all individuals across differences of race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, socio- economic status, ethnicity, age, physical ability, or medical condition. We seek to increase the presence, representation and inclusion of U.S. historically under-represented people of color, international, bilingual and bicultural students, faculty and staff; and, to provide an environment that will attract and retain individuals identified as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, questioning and intersex (LGBTQQI).
Screening begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Using the Apply Now link, please submit a Resume and Cover Letter online.
Minimum Education Required