Senior Staff Attorney, Bronx Family Justice Center
- Job posted by Sanctuary for Families
Sanctuary for Families is New York's leading service provider and advocate for survivors of domestic violence, sex trafficking and related forms of gender violence. Every year, Sanctuary empowers thousands of adults and children to move from fear and abuse to safety and stability, transforming lives through a comprehensive range of services. We provide a range of wrap-around services to help survivors rebuild their lives in the aftermath of abuse, and work to end gender violence through three key strategies: direct services, outreach and training, and systems-change advocacy. Our services are available in 11 locations throughout New York City.
Sanctuary for Families seeks a seasoned attorney with domestic violence and/or family law experience to provide legal representation to victims of domestic violence who come to the Bronx Family Justice Center seeking assistance with family offense, custody/visitation, and child/spousal support proceedings, as well as matrimonial matters. The attorney will also conduct community outreaches and trainings, will screen clients at the Bronx Family Justice Center, and will collaborate with other agencies to advocate for systemic change. The Senior Staff Attorney will provide leadership and expertise within a team of family law staff attorneys, and will mentor and supervise junior staff attorneys, pro bono attorneys, interns, and volunteers. The attorney will work out of the Bronx Family Justice Center and will report to Sanctuary's Bronx and Manhattan Family Justice Center Legal Director and Deputy Director.
- Represents victims of domestic violence in Bronx Family Court and Supreme Court in family offense, custody, visitation, child support, spousal support, and matrimonial matters.
- Screens, advises, and advocates for clients who enter the Bronx Family Justice Center seeking services.
- Develops and conducts outreaches to underserved communities.
- Trains law students, pro bono attorneys, social service providers, health care professionals, and community based organizations on domestic violence and the legal needs of victims.
- Represents Sanctuary for Families on task forces and other policy and advocacy committees outside the agency.
- Recruits and supervises pro bono attorneys on all aspects of litigation in family law matters.
- Supervises and mentors junior legal staff, volunteer attorneys and interns, and project assistants.
- Facilitates clients' access to intra-agency and outside resources, and administers provision of direct financial assistance and donations to clients.
- Builds relationships/partnerships with law firms, law schools, and other agencies to increase visibility of Sanctuary for Families in the legal and domestic violence communities.
- Participates in interagency conferences and legal/bar association committee meetings to keep abreast of developments in the areas of pro bono representation, family law, and domestic violence.
- Performs any other department or agency-related duties or special projects as directed by supervisor.
- J.D. and Admission to the New York State Bar
- At least five years of relevant legal experience
- Ability to handle all aspects of complex family law matters
- Experience working in the domestic violence field
- Ability to work independently
- Knowledge of the dynamics of gender-based oppression and a strong motivation to combat gender-based violence
- Fluency in a second language an asset
Minimum Education Required