Summary of JVP and JVPA
JVP (our 501c3) and JVP Action (our 501c4) are building a multiracial, intergenerational movement of Jews and allies working towards justice and equality in Israel/Palestine by transforming U.S. policy. We draw strength from over half a million supporters, 70 chapters, and decades of organizing for freedom and dignity in Israel/Palestine and the US. We’re mapping out a path for Palestinian rights to become a core part of the progressive agenda, we’re fighting for freedom for all people, and we’re writing a new chapter of Jewish life.
About the role:
The Campaign Director will be heading a new Campaigns department at Jewish Voice for Peace, where we are running grassroots campaigns to challenge oppression, build power, and win concrete change. Current campaigns include our Deadly Exchange campaign, which aims to end US-Israel police exchanges; as well as emerging corporate boycott, divestment and sanctions (BDS) campaigns targeting corporations that contribute to or profit from Israeli occupation and apartheid.
The Director will hold the architecture for campaigning at JVP across staff departments and with our grassroots base. They will collaboratively lead the strategy development and big-picture coordination of our campaigns, and will also be our primary representative in national and international coalitions, maintaining significant and strategic organizational relationships with our movement partners.
You are a seasoned campaigner with serious determination to win real change. You are an organizer’s organizer, and you manage both staff and volunteers in a way that builds collective power. You build relationships wherever you go, and know when to act quickly and when to slow down. Your strong commitment to racial, gender, and economic justice and their intersections informs all the work you do, both as a manager and as an organizer.
Essential Job Functions
Launch, Run and Win multiple complex grassroots campaigns
- Lead our Deadly Exchange campaign, supporting over a dozen coalitions around the US who are running local legislative and campus-based campaigns.
- Lead the processes of selecting and launching new and emerging BDS campaigns. Facilitate inclusive and energizing opportunities for member, board and partner input into campaign prioritization.
- Develop and implement detailed campaign roadmaps and timelines for all national campaigns, including goals, research, strategy, tactics, and messaging. Integrate both digital and offline tactics.
- Build and maintain campaign infrastructure across all of our campaigns, providing clear pathways for member leadership.
- Work closely with communications department staff and digital and product teams to ensure campaigns move forward with compelling communications goals and tactics, including emails, organic and paid social media content, creative design, and other online content to help achieve campaign goals.
- Monitor and adjust the path of national campaigns through ongoing learning, evaluation and analysis of key metrics -- both offline and digital.
- Set strategy and priorities. Help to shape the overall strategic direction of the organization, prioritizing resources, time, and energy between and among campaigns.
- Collaborate across teams to ensure alignment and coordination of JVP’s campaigns and strategies. Work with staff from communications and organizing departments and the digital and partnerships teams to ensure smooth and seamless implementation of campaign work, and the maximization of our capacities towards winning.
- Support Executive Director in strategic thinking and planning for campaigns as a whole, while reinforcing the culture and values of JVP.
- Manage effectively. Supervise the Senior Campaign Organizer. Make staffing, structure and resource decisions. Recruit, hire, develop and retain a high-performing team and manage them to achieve campaign goals.
- Serve as our primary point person in national and international coalitions. Build and maintain relationships throughout the US movement and on the ground in Palestine/Israel.
- Build coalitions, rooted in a fundamental ethos of accountability to our mission, our partners across movements, and to Palestinians leading their own struggle for rights and freedom.
- Public speaking and media. Build relationships with media outlets, craft creative actions that garner media attention; represent our campaigns persuasively and clearly to reporters.
- Convene as-needed coalitions and advisory boards for national campaigns.
- Experience planning, executing and winning grassroots campaigns and organizing in grassroots organizations, at least 3-5 years in a managerial role. This could include issue-based, corporate, rapid-response, BDS or electoral campaigns.
- Track record of success building and maintaining infrastructure for complex campaigns and diverse coalitions, including building and managing meaningful working relationships with a diverse group of stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to cultivate relationship-building, leadership development, and culture of belonging in the process of running issue-based campaigns.
- Have the proven ability to build, support, and develop a team, with excellent interpersonal and managerial skills. Leads with empathy, positivity and curiosity.
- Demonstrated success developing the organizing skills and leadership of staff and volunteers.
- Decisive & strategic in prioritizing. Demonstrated ability to handle, keep track of, and follow-through on multiple projects. Detail oriented project manager.
- Demonstrated ability to integrate racial / power structure analysis into personal practice, campaign/project development and execution, engagement with members, and in managing a staff team.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- A demonstrated capacity to excel in a fast-paced, team-based participatory environment, as well as work autonomously.
- Values a shared, cross-collaborative leadership model.
The ideal candidate will also have:
- A commitment to and understanding of JVP’s political positions
- Experience with BDS campaigns
- Knowledge of or experience with Jewish communities and/or religious practices
- A demonstrable commitment to grassroots fundraising and integration of fundraising with other organizational activities
- Familiarity with state and national political landscapes and legislative processes.
- High level of facility and comfort with choosing, quickly learning, and using tech tools for collaboration, communication, and campaigning. Familiarity with common computer applications including: MS Office, Slack, AirTable, Gsuite, Asana, Dropbox, Mac environment, and Zoom video tele-conferencing system as well as digital filing, CRM and communication systems,
In our commitment to inclusive hiring of the best candidates, we use the Be Applied hiring system to process applications. The Be Applied system reduces the opportunity for unconscious bias in allowing for anonymised reviews of responses to work sample questions. This means we assess candidates on how well they strategise and communicate on relevant work. When you click on the link you will be taken to an external site to start your application. You will be required to upload a CV or resume and will be asked several questions that will be related to the role you are applying for. There is no requirement to submit a cover letter.
JVP values diversity and inclusion and the benefits this brings. We aim to appoint the most suitable candidate at all times and welcome applications from people from all different backgrounds. People of color, Sephardi and/or Mizrahi applicants, people with disabilities, and transgender or gender non-conforming applicants strongly encouraged to apply.
Jewish Voice for Peace opposes anti-Jewish, anti-Muslim, and anti-Arab bigotry and oppression. JVP does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, age, ethnicity, religion, national origin, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, sex, marital status, disability, or status as a U.S. veteran.