Director of Finance and Operations
- Job posted by Boston Youth Sanctuary
Boston Youth Sanctuary (BYS) is a one-of-a-kind therapeutic after-school program for youth ages 6-11 who have experienced traumatic events or circumstances in their lives. We work with children and families from the Boston community providing clinical and case management services designed to improve youths' functioning in home, community and academic settings by addressing the needs of children by providing wrap-around services to them and their families in one centralized location.
We are a community-based organization in the truest sense of the word. Our program was developed based on the identified needs of the community, continues to be responsive to the evolving needs of the community, and maintains the needs and experiences of our clients at the very core of our work. Led by a diverse team of talented professionals, we work like a family to support our families.
For more information on Boston Youth Sanctuary, please visit website.
Boston Youth Sanctuary celebrates the diversity of our nation and community, and we seek to build a team that reflects that diversity. We welcome and encourage all qualified applicants who share that same vision, as we want to engage all those who can contribute to our work and this mission. We encourage individuals of all ethnic, racial, and socioeconomic backgrounds to apply for this position, and we do not discriminate on any basis prohibited by applicable law.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Finance and Operations will be responsible for creating and enhancing internal processes and infrastructure that will allow Boston Youth Sanctuary to provide its unique services and grow its impact. Specifically, the Director of Finance and Operations will play a critical role in leading or supporting the finance, HR, IT, and facilities functions, in partnership with the Executive Director, outsourced vendors, and organizational partners.
- Ensure strong financial oversight and long-term planning, in collaboration with the Executive Director and partners
- Lead the budget development and monitoring process
- Negotiate and manage contracts with all vendors including transportation, food, copiers, and technology
- Work with partner bookkeeper to ensure effective general ledger entries and expense approvals
- Ensure appropriate compliance and license renewals
- Manager financial audit and tax return preparation in collaboration with the organizational partner
- Ensure effective financial policies and internal controls are developed and implemented
- Work with the development department on preparation of grant requests, monitoring, and grant reporting
- Manage employment benefits program
- Manage payroll and benefits vendor relationships
- Oversee performance review approach, tools and process
- Develop and oversee implementation of personnel policies and procedures
- Work with outsourced IT vendor to ensure effective implementation and maintenance of software and hardware
- Continuously investigate and suggest technology improvements to increase effectiveness and efficiency
- Ensure timely maintenance on building, serving as the liaison between the landlord, vendors, and contractors
- As needed, explore the expansion of facilities
As the incoming Director of Finance and Operations, you will possess many, though perhaps not all, of the following characteristics and qualifications:
- You are hard-working, organized, and detail-oriented, with at least 5 years of professional experience in a similar type of position
- You demonstrate a strong connection to mission and vision of BYS; you view this role as an opportunity to ensure that the BYS team can thrive and therefore support programmatic success of the organization
- You have excellent people-skills that translate to all of BYS's different stakeholders (youth, staff, board, donors, volunteers); you are able to communicate financial and operational topics effectively to program leaders and demonstrate the importance of the finance and operations infrastructure
- You bring the ability to move seamlessly between strategic and tactical thinking
- You exhibit common sense and are able to manage multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- You bring a positive approach, can-do attitude, sense of humor, and grace under pressure and the ability to demonstrate tact, diplomacy, discretion, and professional judgment
- You have a high level of proficiency in Microsoft Office programs and a comfort with technology
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience is required
- compensation & benefits
- Boston Youth Sanctuary offers a competitive salary and benefits, commensurate with experience and skills.
Boston Youth Sanctuary has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume, addressed to Jana Karp, Executive Director, here.
About KOYA Leadership Partners
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained executive search and human capital consulting firm that works exclusively with mission-driven organizations, institutions of higher education and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations and ensuring that organizations have the resources and strategies to support them. For more information, visit www.koyapartners.com.
Minimum Education Required