Director of Food Security
- Job posted by Stupski Foundation
Details: The salary for this position is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
DIRECTOR OF FOOD SECURITY
CLOSING DATE: November 9, 2018
Earlier Submissions Encouraged
Reports To: Vice President | Location: San Francisco
The Stupski Foundation is spending down all its assets by 2029 to make the greatest possible change in San Francisco and Alameda Counties today. To address some of the Bay Area’s biggest challenges and ensure that people in every neighborhood, of every background, at every age, can live with dignity and seize opportunities in our region, the Foundation’s issue areas include Postsecondary Success, Food Security, Serious Illness Care, and Healthy Brain Development. The Foundation follows an agile evidence-based approach. Between 2016 and 2017, it focused on what were the largest problems to address in each issue area. In 2018, its focus is on how best to solve for those challenges. 2019 onwards, the Foundation will determine what the most effective strategies are and which organizations carry out the strategies most successfully.
While working expeditiously to create impact, the Foundation’s team maintains a collaborative and humorous culture of empowerment and continuous learning. The Foundation seeks candidates who can contribute to that culture and demonstrate commitment to a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment for employees, partners and grantees.
The Director of Food Security will be responsible for implementing a foundation strategy that reduces the current meal gap in the target counties in half by 2029 in a manner that is sustained beyond the life of the Foundation. The Director will have the freedom to be innovative and take risks to get to what works. The Director will partner with institutions within the target counties, make grants, and direct a small team of strategy ‘product’ managers and consultants to achieve success.
Design a high impact and sustainable approach to supporting the most effective, low-cost interventions to supply meals to those in need which will require the Director to:
● Draw out implications from data sets, research, stakeholder feedback, and grantee reports to make grant recommendations
● Refine initial strategies with target geographies or demographics within the community
● Co-design grant making with grantees to ensure their programs are having the intended effect as quickly as possible
● Interact and forge relationships with Foundation staff, the Board of Directors and external stakeholders including the diverse communities served
● Develop complementary advocacy and communications strategies that help address long-term structural changes associated with primary food security challenges
● Build relationships with key stakeholders and funders to create coalitions that can sustain impact beyond the Foundation’s existence
● Work with the Measurement and Evaluation team to capture grantee results and draw out implications for foundation strategy
● Work with managers and consultants to hone and fine-tune strategies in a lean manner
QUALIFICATIONS OF SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE
● Minimum of 10 years work experience, at least 5 of those in management/building great teams
● Prior management of a product, organization, agency or another type of P&L responsibilities
● Relevant experience such as being a grantee; working in management consulting; working as a product manager; working with food banks and/or food security organizations; working with government agencies; or working in the impact space
● Has a Bachelor’s degree; An advanced degree or extensive work experience in excess of the minimum requirements is a plus
● Track record of strong communications with internal and external stakeholders whether in communities or board rooms
● Has relationships within the local food security ecosystem
● Comfortable creating, testing, and revising strategy in an agile environment
● Confident when facing intractable problems and has the persistence to solve them
● Has a track record of juggling multiple priorities, effectively delegating, and delivering results in a timely manner with clear team communication
● Has the ability to quickly absorb and analyze large amounts of information, including research papers and statistics, and identify and share implications
● An understanding of or willingness to learn how predictive analytics, ‘big data’, and precinct data can be utilized in food security
● Content knowledge of CalFresh (SNAP), Food Banks, and/or School Meals is a plus
The Stupski Foundation offers a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, vision, dental and life insurance coverage, 401(k) plan/match and profit sharing.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, email a cover letter, resume and list of three references (candidates will be notified in advance of any outreach to your references) to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before 5:00 p.m. on Friday, November 9, 2018. Use the subject line: Director of Food Security. Submit Microsoft Word or PDF files only (PDF files are preferred). Resume review begins immediately. Questions? Contact Constance Walker, Walker and Associates Consulting, at (510) 834-2341 or email@example.com.