Accounting Assistant - Accounts Payable (2775)
- Job posted by Downtown Emergency Service Center (DESC)
Details: Hourly Wage
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist CAO, and other accounting department staff with all aspects of maintaining accurate accounting and administrative records for the agency.
- Initiate and document accounting transactions including but not limited to accounts payable, cash management, payroll, purchasing or administering client accounts.
- Process various checks, cash and credit card payments received by DESC, prepare bank deposits initiate and create cash receipt and accounts receivable transactions in the DESC accounting system.
- Maintain a working knowledge of DESC accounting department policies and procedures and general agency policies and procedures as applicable.
- Safeguard all checks, cash and other assets of DESC consistent with agency and department policies and procedures.
- Maintain accounts payable system, including; process bills, prepare checks for signatures, mail payments on a timely basis, and record payments in the accounting system.
- Maintain Protective Payee records on all funds managed for agency clients, disburse funds by check and cash on schedule as directed by agreement of case manager and client.
- Manage agency petty cash, and accurately record receipts and expenditures handled through petty cash.
- Coordinate purchasing and delivery of supplies and other purchases as assigned.
- Assist CAO and Accountants in the preparation of various accounting reports.
- Other duties as assigned.
DESC Employee PERKS:
* Over 6 weeks off in the first year of employment
* Opportunities for growth
* Team building and camaraderie
* Training and Learning that occurs at your own pace
* Great medical and dental benefits
* Week long orientation and training
* Retirement plan
* Flexible Spending Account
- High school diploma, AA degree preferred.
- 10-key by touch.
- Accounting coursework and job experience with accounts payable and payroll; computerized bookkeeping experience strongly preferred.
- Computer experience; experience with spreadsheets and accounting software (MIP) preferred.
- Careful attention to detail, and ability to work independently with a minimum of direct supervision.
- Willingness to be flexible and work cooperatively with co-workers to accomplish all responsibilities.
- Ability and desire to communicate and work effectively and appropriately with staff and vendors from various backgrounds and disciplines in person, on the phone, and via email.
- Ability to relate effectively to clients displaying a wide range of unpleasant and/or bizarre behaviors.
- Demonstrated respect for diversity and commitment to developing multicultural competency sensitivity.
- Subscribe to philosophy of cooperation and continuity across programs, and of consideration and respect for clients.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be required to sit, communicate with other employees and vendors, is required to lift and carry items weighing up to 25 pounds and to operate computer hardware systems. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Considerable stress may occur.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
DESC is committed to diversity in the workplace, and promotes equal employment opportunities for all staff members and applicants. The Agency will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, creed, color, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, or the presence of any sensory, mental or physical disability in any employment practice, unless based on a bona fide occupational qualification. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply