Senior Manager, Financial Planning & Analysis - Budget
- Job posted by NYCEDC
Our Vision: To make New York City the global model for inclusive innovation and economic growth, fueled by the City's diverse people and businesses.
Our Mission: To create shared prosperity across New York City's five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs.
The Budget Department, as part of the Finance Division, is NYCEDC's fiscal resource, partnering with NYCEDC departments and City agencies to lead in financial planning, analysis and accountability with a commitment to service, strategic investments and transparency.
Your Role: The unique and critical responsibility of this position is to manage the coordination, development, presentation, and maintenance of the Corporation's financial position and rolling 10-year Financial Plan. This will require continual coordination with senior management and all other EDC departments to ensure accurate, reliable and timely financial projections. The Senior Manager will direct the budgeting of all internally funded corporate projects and processes, including guiding projects from the conceptual through implementation stages, shepherding projects through internal and external review processes, and managing operating budgets.
This is a mid-level management position that directly supervises a team of four analysts and reports to the Senior Vice President of the Budget Department, within EDC's Finance Division. It is critical for the person holding this position to have sound judgement and decision making abilities, and the ability to translate complex financial information to a variety of audiences. The successful candidate will have expertise in nonprofit financial management, strong collaborative leadership skills, and demonstrated success developing junior staff.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead the preparation and maintenance of NYCEDC's rolling 10-year Financial Plan, annual budget and mid-year reforecast.
- Support effective and strategic corporate decision making with financial modeling and scenario analysis.
- Develop strong cross-functional partnerships, and facilitate transparency and collaboration with individuals and teams across the corporation.
- Lead the Budget Financial Planning & Analysis team, including direct supervision of four FP&A analysts.
- Establish financial projections, and monitor and present budget-to-actual performance reports to senior management.
- Develop financial models and dashboards to track, organize and report on initiatives and key projects.
- Partner with senior management to develop funding strategies for initiatives and create operational budgets funded with corporate resources. Analyze and make recommendations on budget requests and allocations.
- Review, analyze and guide the approval process for NYCEDC-managed property budgets, working in close partnership with the Asset Management Division.
- Advise on financial aspects of investments, loans and transactions made by NYCEDC's strategic investment and real estate departments, considering policy and program goals.
- Continuously improve budgeting and reporting frameworks, tools and processes.
- Update internal systems with budget information and periodically reconcile project and operating budgets. Work with project teams and the Accounting Department to correct any discrepancies.
- Review project contracts to determine appropriate funding sources based on the approved financial plan.
- Maintain relevant financial data for NYCEDC affiliated entities.
- Coordinate with City Hall and the Office of Management & Budget (OMB) regarding funding of Mayoral initiatives.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Finance, Business Administration, Accounting or a related field.
- 5-7 years of experience in budgetary planning or management, financial analysis, financial modeling and multi-year projections, including at least 3 years in a nonprofit environment.
- Strong leadership skills, including 1-3 years of experience directly managing a team.
- Willingness and demonstrated ability to mentor junior/analyst level staff.
- Strong understanding of accounting concepts and applications.
- Excellent communication skills including verbal, written, and presentation.
- Problem solving, especially with innovative and creative solutions.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Strong quantitative skills and comfort building financial models and pro-formas.
- Ability to understand big picture and be detail-oriented.
- Ability to multi-task and respond quickly to requests for information.
- Comfort interfacing with and presenting to senior officials and management.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint; experience with accounting software programs.
- New York City residency is required within 180 days of hire.
- Master's degree in a related field.
- Experience in property management finance or real estate finance is a plus.
- Some knowledge of City's budgeting processes is a plus.
- Experience with Microsoft Great Plains (GP), Concur and MRI applications is a plus.
About NYCEDC: New York City Economic Development Corporation is the City's primary vehicle for promoting economic growth in each of the five boroughs. NYCEDC's mission is to stimulate job growth through expansion and redevelopment programs that encourage investment, generate prosperity and strengthen the City's competitive position. NYCEDC serves as an advocate to the business community by building relationships with companies that allow them to take advantage of New York City's many opportunities. Additional information on NYCEDC can be found by visiting http://www.nycedc.com/.
Minimum Education Required