This non-profit organization is working to safeguard against the worst impacts of climate change by catalyzing the rapid global development and deployment of low-carbon energy and other climate-protecting technologies. This is accomplished through research and analysis, public advocacy leadership, and partnership with the private sector. With nearly 25 years of nationally and internationally recognized expertise on clean air policy and regulations and a fierce commitment to fully exploring all potential solutions, this organization is an environmental advocacy group with the bold ideas needed today to solve the climate crisis.
This organization is seeking a Development Officer to lead and grow a burgeoning Individual Giving program. Over the past 18 months, individual gifts have shown promise to significantly enhance their traditional base of support from non-profit foundation grants. This is an exciting opportunity for an entrepreneurial professional with experience and drive to advance their mission by cultivating, soliciting, and securing new support and raising their profile with non-traditional donors.
As their Development Officer, you will be charged with creating and executing their Individual and Major Gifts strategy. In this role, you will lead individual and major gift identification, cultivation, and solicitation activities. Proficiency with donor development systems and protocols is required, as is a high level of professionalism and attention to detail. You will be tasked with managing a portfolio of Major Donors, building relationships and keeping engaged our current donors, as well as researching new prospects and helping to secure new donors. The ideal candidate is flexible and creative and is able to successfully match prospects’ particular interests with their program objectives. You will also manage our broader pool of donors who have come to us from a variety of sources, including our website, effective altruism groups, and other online platforms. You will be tasked with implementing processes, timelines, and templates for interacting with these donors, as well as creating and managing campaigns to expand our donor base.
The Development Officer will be the point person on donor outreach and stewardship activities and support our Executive Director and program staff with their fundraising efforts which will require the ability to communicate effectively with their constituencies both within and outside the organization. You will work closely with their existing development and communications staff, Executive Director, program staff, and board members to make this new program a success.
Most importantly, as this is a new position at this organization, the Development Officer will be prepared from day one to join a small, entrepreneurial team of problem solvers, be willing to handle all tasks necessary for successful donor development, and think creatively and strategically about how to get the job done.
· Develop and execute strategy for their Individual Giving Program
· Manage cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship activities for prospective and current donors
· Seek new prospects and build robust donor pipeline
· Schedule, organize, and in some cases lead meetings/contacts with prospects/donors, importantly, preparing, briefing, and guiding the Executive Director, program directors, and board members for meetings/contacts with donors
· Implement moves management processes that generate first time gifts, secure renewals, and increase existing donor contributions
· Monitor and track progress with prospects/donors utilizing CRM (Salesforce)
· Work with communications team and program staff to develop fundraising and reporting materials
· Manage relationships with donor “aggregators” (charities which promote them and accept donations on our behalf), including meeting reporting requirements, keeping them up to date on their activities, and working with the team to engage in joint marketing/events
· Build and maintain relationships with Donors Advisors/Donor Advised Funds
· Travel as required (overnight, domestic, and international)
Qualifications and Experience:
· Bachelor’s Degree or comparable work/life experience
· 3-5 years of experience with direct management of major gifts with demonstrated success in major gifts work, including identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of major gifts
· Experience with fundraising campaigns and events
· Familiarity with CRMs (Salesforce a plus)
· Experience with advocacy groups (environmental groups a plus)
· Knowledge of the current trends in the philanthropic community, for example the growing use of donor advised funds for high net worth giving, the influence of the effective altruism movement on donors (a plus)
· Self-starter/entrepreneurial, this position and program needs someone to take the lead with the ability to shape and implement your own strategy and processes
· Superb communications and interpersonal skills, comfortable building and maintaining relationships
· Fast learner, able to digest complex information and effectively communicate complex concepts to donors
· Highly motivated, organized, detail-oriented, able to multi-task and manage multiple deadline
· Able to work well independently as well as collaborate with a team
This non-profit organization is working to safeguard against the worst impacts of climate change by catalyzing the rapid global development and deployment of low-carbon energy and other climate-protecting technologies. This is…