Hours per week
24 hours per week
130 East 59th Street
The Human Services Council of New York (HSC) is a membership association, representing 170 nonprofit human services agencies throughout New York. Our membership includes federations, subsector-specific umbrella associations, advocacy groups, and direct service providers, both large and small, that provide a wide variety of human services from child care and after school programs for children and youth to transportation and meals for seniors, as well as child welfare, health, mental health, homeless, immigration, and substance abuse services. The mission of the Human Services Council (HSC) is to strengthen New York’s nonprofit human services sector, ensuring all New Yorkers, across diverse neighborhoods, cultures, and generations reach their full potential.
This internship is an excellent opportunity for students pursuing a career in public administration, public policy, education, social work, or nonprofit management to gain exposure to the inner workings of the legislative process and will provide the practical experience necessary to fully develop advocacy, organizing, and research skills.
- Assisting the Government and External Relations Manager and staff with advocacy initiatives.
- Research and compile information that highlights the impact of policies on not-for-profits and the people they serve.
- Helping HSC connect the impact to the broader community including sectors such as education and workforce.
- Drafting memorandums, letters, and testimony to be used in advocacy campaigns.
- Maintaining contact lists including contact information for elected officials, membership lists, and advocacy campaign lists.
- Assisting with membership expansion and fundraising campaigns.
- Representing the organization at coalition meetings and public policy briefings.
- Monitoring City and State budget and legislative activities impacting the human services sector.
- Preparing and distributing training and educational materials to our membership on various topics.
- Maintaining social media presence for the organization via Twitter, Facebook, and our website.
- Assist in the planning of events, trainings, and committee meetings
How To Apply
Applications, including resume and cover letter, should be sent to Jason Wu, Membership Services Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.