District of Columbia
Center: Conferences & Meetings
Reports To: Program Manger
FLSA Status: Temporary
Salary Range: $12.50
Grant Funded: No
Date Created: April 2018
The National League of Cities Conferences & Meetings Department is offering a paid internship (with stipend) to an undergraduate junior or senior or graduate student for the summer 2018 semester.
NLC is a national policy organization dedicated to helping city leaders build better communities. It a resource and advocate for 19,000 cities, towns, and villages, representing more than 218 million Americans. NLC is a community of passionate professionals, diverse in thought and expertise, who are dedicated to promoting and supporting solutions and innovation in cities. The office is located at 660 North Capitol Street NW, near Union Station and the U.S. Capitol.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Planning and execution of Summer Board and Leadership Meeting.
- Planning and execution of Summer State Municipal League Meetings.
- Assistance with Constituency Group Summer Meeting logistics.
- Planning and execution of a social gathering/mixer for NLC summer interns.
- Brainstorming and planning experiential pieces for fall City Summit conference.
- Attendance at local conference and meeting planner events as they arise.
- Assistance in coordinating onsite business and social gatherings as they arise.
- Assistance organizing and updating tracking documents and planning tools.
- Event support as assigned.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as laptop computers and smartphones.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand on a stool as necessary.
Expected Hours of Work
This is a temporary position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, up to 24 hours per week.
Travel is primarily local during the business day, although some out-of-area travel may be expected.
Preferred Education and Experience
1. Experience with meeting and event coordination and/or hospitality industry preferred
2. Must be an undergraduate junior or senior or graduate student
3. Prior internship experience preferred, but not required.
4. Availability to work June through early August.
National League of Cities is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
National League of cities is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you may request a reasonable accommodation
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
This is largely a sedentary position that requires the ability to speak, hear, see, and lift small objects up to 20 lbs. Requires the ability to travel locally, regionally and nationally for 3-4 trips annually.