Hours per week
332 East 149th Street
Mercy Center (www.MercyCenterBronx.org) is a comprehensive community center that has been serving women and their families in the Mott Haven section of the South Bronx, NY for over 20 years. We address the needs of the whole person, developing skills for healthy family living and economic advancement and building a community of respect, hospitality and non-violence. Mercy Center provides a range of programs and services to our participants, most of whom are immigrants and almost two-thirds of whom survive on annual household incomes of less than $15,000.
Mercy Center seeks an energetic, creative intern to join our Immigrant Services Program. This position requires a self-motivated worker with a desire to work directly with participants. The intern will work closely with the Director of Immigrant Services and will be assisting individuals with immigration and employment applications.
Mercy Center's Immigrant Services Program provides application assistance with Naturalization applications, Deffered Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) renewal applications, and Green Card Renewals. The intern will receive immigration legal training and will be responsible for providing individual consultations, researching resources, giving applicants individualized study support, and offering administrative support to the program. In addition, she or he will support our immigrant job-seekers with their employment goals. This may include helping participants develop and improve resumes, searching for new jobs, or establishing relationships with community employers. Interns will also have the opportunity to attend various meetings and trainings, and to network with other professionals.
This position will provide an opportunity to gain hands-on experience providing direct services in a safe, supportive environment. The intern will receive ongoing support and feedback. This is an internship for a student or professional who is interested in the non-profit sector, immigration policy and procedures, grassroots organizing, direct service provision, and learning about the day-to-day workings of a non-profit organization.
Intern Responsibilities Include:
- Provide individual consultations for Citizenship and Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) applicants
- Assist job seekers with resumes, cover letters, and job searches
- Research and present available community programs and resources
- Help naturalization candidates prepare for citizenship interviews, including speaking, reading, writing, and civics
- Provide administrative support including taking and returning messages, filing, and helping to develop systems to increase productivity
- Collaborate with Director of Immigrant Services to identify and address programmatic needs
Interns for this position must be able to commit a minimum 2 days/week for the academic semester. Start date and scheduling are flexible.
All internships are unpaid; however, Mercy Center will work with academic institutions to provide academic credit, as needed.
This internship is located in the Bronx, New York. Room & board are not provided.
- Fluency in English and Spanish
- High School Diploma, some college strongly preferred
- Commitment to the mission and values of Mercy Center
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of MS Office
- Strong time management, administrative, and organizational skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Prior legal knowledge and familiarity with the immigration system are not required; training will be provided.
How To Apply
Please send a resume and brief cover letter to Bridget Meehan at firstname.lastname@example.org