Hours per week
Flexible schedule; 17 hours per week, occasional weekday evening hours for events as needed and 2-3 hours on Saturdays.
10 1/2 Beacon ST.
The Boston Athenæum seeks a reliable, eager intern for the Communications and Patron Services team. The intern will play an important role in supporting daily functions and strategic goals.The ideal candidate will be articulate, organized, and hard-working. This position is available to start in November 2018.
- Serves as a front-line member of the Communications and Patron Services team.
- Maintains press clippings and Intranet postings.
- Assists with membership and other data entry.
- Supports gift shop and membership-related processes, including record keeping for gift shop transactions, event ticket sales, etc.
- Drafts and proofreads a variety of documents and social media posts.
- Contributes to editorial planning and calendar development.
- Conducts research as needed.
- Assists with paper and electronic mailings.
- Compiles performance metrics for emails and other products.
- Supports office functions of copying, collating, filing, etc.
- Conducts other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
- Submit to and pass a background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment verifications and Registry of Motor Vehicles (if applicable).
- Must be currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program.
- Strong interest in art and cultural organizations, communications, and/or non-profit management.
- Experience with, and interest in, social media communications.
- A love of libraries, reading, and/or history.
- Proficiency with Google G Suite and/or Microsoft Office.
- Adobe Creative Suite skills a plus.
- Strong interpersonal abilities and customer service focus.
- Excellent grammar and constant attention to detail.
- Able to work both independently and collaboratively.
- Must be trustworthy.
- Optional: familiarity with constituent relationship tools such as Raiser’s Edge.
- Commitment to fostering a workplace culture of teamwork, diversity, and inclusion.
The Boston Athenæum is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage individuals of diverse backgrounds to apply and are committed to hiring individuals who value a diverse and inclusive work environment.
ABOUT THE BOSTON ATHENAEUM
Founded in 1807 as “a fountain, at which all, who choose, may gratify their thirst for knowledge,” the Boston Athenæum has evolved into a beloved subscription library, specializing in history, biography, literature, and art. 5,000 Households maintain active memberships in the Athenæum, and enjoy a range of services from individualized reference assistance to superb children’s programming, from discussion groups to curated selections of digital and print resources. Tourists and scholars from around the world consult the quarter-million rare items in the collection, which includes George Washington’s personal library; an important collection of early American portraits; rich holdings related to the Civil War and documenting New England’s built environment; and the Athenæum’s own historical archives, attesting to the institution’s role in American arts and letters. Each year, the Athenæum offers hundreds of cultural programs— including lectures, concerts, performances, exhibitions, and tastings—within its exquisite National Historic Landmark structure, widely regarded as one of the most beautiful libraries in the world.
Paid sick time and free membership concurrent with employment and one year following date of the departure.