$15 per hour, paid weekly
Hours per week
7 Marcus Garvey Boulevard
Churches United for Fair Housing is a grassroots organization that works towards community empowerment through community organizing, youth engagement, and by providing sophisticated social services. CUFFH organizes towards preserving and creating vibrant communities that are not exclusive and are really affordable to working families in New York City.
The Community Organizing Intern will work with our Community Organizing team to help build new relationships and sustain existing involvement in the CUFFH Network. This includes engaging church leaders and community members in low-income and immigrant communities; providing programs and services which promote community empowerment; mobilizing our base to tackle pressing community issues; and strengthening our relationships with partnering organizations and other allies.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Facilitate fair housing, affordable housing, financial empowerment and tenant organizing programs across our Network
- Assist with weekly outreach at CUFFH member churches, and hold office hours with organizing staff at multiple locations each week
- Coordinate logistics for workshops and other events
- Assist with community outreach and engagement efforts (canvassing, flyering, phone banking, etc.)
- Organize and mobilize activists to attend events, rallies and other campaign activities
- Attend and represent CUFFH at coalition meetings, and in local and citywide initiatives and to the press
- Engage CUFFH members to create a community-based vision of organizing efforts
- Assist with general administrative duties
- A deep passion for social justice and interest in Community Organizing as a career
- Strong organizing, planning, meeting/workshop facilitation skills
- Willingness to work flexible hours, including some evenings and weekends
- Must be reliable, on time and responsive to email and phone communication
- Strong communication skills in both English and Spanish
- Basic computer skills, including Google G Suite
- Good teamwork skills, high energy and a positive attitude
How To Apply
CUFFH is a non-religious organization. We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage qualified individuals of every race, creed, ethnicity, ability, sexual orientation and gender identity to apply.
Applicants must be between the ages of 15 and 23 years old.
Fluency in English and Spanish is preferred for this position.
Email your resume and cover letter to HR@cuffh.org with the subject line: ORGANIZING INTERN. No phone calls will be accepted.