199 Water Street
Center Background: The Center for Reproductive Rights (the Center) is the premier global legal organization dedicated to advancing women's reproductive health, self-determination, and dignity. Its mission is straightforward and ambitious: to advance reproductive health and rights as fundamental human rights that all governments around the world are legally obligated to protect, respect, and fulfill. Headquartered in New York City, the Center has regional offices in Bogota, Geneva, Kathmandu, Nairobi, and Washington, DC and a staff of more than 150 diverse professionals. Its annual operating budget is approximately $29 million, the result of an extraordinary growth trajectory; the Center is now poised for a new phase of significant expansion through its next Strategic Plan.
The Center's game-changing litigation and advocacy work, combined with its unparalleled expertise in constitutional, comparative, and international human rights law, have transformed how reproductive rights are understood by courts, governments, and human rights bodies worldwide. It has played a key role in securing landmark legal victories in the U.S., Latin America, Africa, Asia, and Eastern Europe on issues including access to life-saving obstetrics care, contraception, safe abortion services, and comprehensive sexuality information, as well as the prevention of forced sterilization and child marriage. It has brought groundbreaking cases before national courts, U.N. Committees, and regional human rights bodies, led the development of historic, proactive legislation advancing robust protections for reproductive rights, and has built the legal capacity of women's rights advocates in more than 60 countries.
To learn more about the Center for Reproductive Rights, go to www.reproductiverights.org.
This position will be based in New York City.
Summary: The Office of the President (OOP) at the Center for Reproductive Rights is looking for an enthusiastic, resourceful, and highly organized participant in our summer program to support the department, including the President & CEO, Chief of Staff. This position will provide the candidate with experience in the day-to-day functions within the executive office of a global nonprofit, including office administration, data management, research, and meeting preparation.
The summer program is full-time from June 4, 2018 through August 10, 2018. The position will be paid on an hourly basis.
The Center's summer program includes opportunities for lunches with experts in the field, social events, networking opportunities with other organizations, and other activities.
- The scope of this position will cover, but is not limited to:
- Supporting management of OOP SharePoint intranet site, and ensuring data integrity across digital and hardcopy office files;
- Assisting with internal and external meeting preparation;
- Conducting research in support of department events, CEO speaking engagements, Board prospect cultivation, and other projects as assigned;
- Design and completion of an independent, research-based project TBD;
- Administrative tasks, as needed.
- Current student enrolled in a bachelor's degree program or a recent graduate;
- Strong commitment to the Center's mission, purpose, and values;
- Interest in nonprofit management, administration, and/or coalition-building ;
- High level of discretion in handling confidential matters and materials;
- Exceptional interpersonal, organizational, written, and verbal presentation skills;
- Ability to work independently, collaboratively, and inter-departmentally under deadlines;
- Previous work experience in an office environment;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office programs; and
- Sense of humor.
The Center for Reproductive Rights is an equal opportunity employer, committed to inclusive hiring, and dedicated to diversity in our work and staff. We strongly encourage people from all groups and communities to apply.
How To Apply
How to Apply: Please click on the link below to apply. A cover letter, rsum, and contact information for three references must be included in your application in order to be considered for this role. Applicants are encouraged to include these materials as attachments.
Deadline for applications: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis as they come in and we will not hold the position open for any specific time period. Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply as soon as possible.