Hours per week
20 hours / week
610 8th St NE
District of Columbia
Seeking a Research Fellow to manage and conduct desk research to support and validate Root Change’s theory of change. Fellow will additionally provide support with organizing and cleaning network analysis dataset for select system maps. Root Change conducts network mapping regularly as part of their system strengthening approach. The Fellow will provide technical assistance with data cleaning for three to five mapping initiatives to be conducted this summer.
Core Values: Each employee is expected to embody Root Change’s core values as a representative of the institution.
- Embrace Root Change’s mission and core values, including belief that:
- all people have a right to participate in decisions affecting their lives
- gender equity is mandatory for social transformation
- local development actors should drive the development agenda in their own countries.
- resource allocation choices are transparent and guided by sensitivity to the costs of operations, and financial accountability to our clients.
- Believe diversity in background, gender and age strengthens our capacity to be wise managers of public and private funds.
- Do much of our work in teams, give anyone with a good idea the chance to run with it, and aren’t afraid of taking risks.
- Assert the primacy of gathering and sharing of information as essential roles for all employees.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
Technical Research Assistance
Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) 70%
- Conduct relevant research to understand Root Change’s influence in the international development sector.
- Provide support in creation of database to regularly capture relevant data on Root Change’s projects, programs and influence in the sector to validate organization’s theory of change.
Data Management 30%
- Prepare select network data for analysis, which may include data cleaning, coding and management of database.
- Provide weekly updates to Root Change colleagues on status of research initiative.
- Provide research and program support on other Root Change projects as necessary.
- Maintain the e-filing system of shared network drives, saving all relevant information to the designated location.
Communication & Outreach
- Act as representative of Root Change at key professional conferences and events.
- Effectively communicate Root Change’s core mission, values, beliefs and practices to diverse audiences.
- Support with blogs and use other social media to communicate the Root Change perspective and learning from research initiative.
- One to two years of experience in international development or related field.
- Experience in conducting Qualitative and Quantitative Research and managing data (e.g. cleaning and coding data sets, managing databases).
- Experience with Social Network Analysis a plus.
- Creative thinker and problem solver.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Affinity with Root Change values and beliefs.
- Ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks.
- Good knowledge of self and effective interpersonal skills.
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office applications such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- BA/BS degree in international development, international relations, public administration, or related field.
- Root Change hires staff based on alignment of experience, skills, and worldview. While graduate education may be a part of this alignment, successful applicants may meet the same requirements through extensive or relevant field experience.
Additional Position Details:
- Timeframe for Research Fellow June to end of July 2018 (with possibility of extension).
- Minimum of 20 hours per week. Work can be done in office or remotely. Willing to work around researchers’ schedules.
- Research stipend to be provided.
How To Apply
Submit resume and cover letter to Rachel Dickinson at firstname.lastname@example.org by May 16, 2017. Expected start date June 4, 2018.