Hours per week
37 - 40 Hours by week
22 Lavender Hill
Charity Shop and office Project Manager
This internship offers a wide variety of projects, perfect for business school or University students keen to gain experience in the professional world.
Children of the Mekong is a London based charity, which aims to improve the standards and accessibility of education in Southeast Asia. We are the UK branch of Enfants du Mekong, a French charity founded in 1958.
We run a charity shop in South West London, and our office is located in the basement of the shop.
With only one permanent staff member, most of the team is comprised of interns and volunteers. With their support, we have been able to fund 31 projects in 7 countries since 2011, with an impact on more than 6,000 people.
This internship matters: your creative, organisational and communication skills could help shape the future of children in Southeast Asia.
Your responsibilities would be three-fold; managing the charity shop, sorting donations, and taking part in the development of the organisation.
Your role in the charity shop:
- Running the till (including sales, opening and closing)
- Advising customers
- Sorting and displaying donations
- Creating the shop window display
- Cleaning and tidying
You will also have the opportunity to be shop leader. This role includes responsibilities such as:
- Managing the team of volunteers and interns,
- Overseeing planning, including lunch breaks,
- Ensuring that your team is satisfied and motivated with their tasks and that they are working efficiently,
- Preparing and leading the weekly team meetings.
The third part of the internship involves office projects. According to your skills and previous experience, you will be assigned projects related to communication, fundraising and administration, such as:
- Fundraising (writing and reviewing proposals and reports, sending grant applications, taking part in event organisation, street fundraising, digital fundraising and research on potential corporate partnerships)
- Recruitment (publishing ads and conducting interviews for the recruitment of the new team of interns and volunteers)
- Administrative tasks (updating the database and accounting for the charity shop)
- Communication (social media, emailing sponsors and donors, newsletters and updating the website)
- Managing the EBay account
- Proposing new projects
With many responsibilities and a lot of independence, the interns will learn to identify the needs of the business and take initiative giving them great experience for the future.
Candidates are students in business school, engineering school or university.
The suitable candidates will have strong organisation skills, a good work ethic and be able to take initiative.
French language is a plus.
Length: 4 to 6 months
Location: 22 Lavender Hill, London SW11 5RN, UK
Allowance: £100/ monthly transport allowance for every full month completed
“My 6 months internship at children of Mekong was a great opportunity to polish skills such as taking initiatives and team management. Working in the charity field isn’t an easy task but I was amazed by the values I got from this experience. Children of the Mekong is a fantastic chance to discover a different view of business. As part of a small team you become a huge stakeholder in the dynamic of this NGO providing education in south east Asia. I had the chance to get entrusted with huge responsibilities. Being a core of a business success was the most rewarding thing I could ever wish.” Thomas, 3rd year student in a business school in Paris, June 2016
More testimonies of previous interns here: http://childrenofthemekong.org/uk/get-involved/#jointheteam
How To Apply
CV and Cover Letter