District of Columbia
Foundation Center is seeking a college student interested in learning and applying social media and marketing skills in the nonprofit sector.
Established in 1956, Foundation Center is the leading source of information about philanthropy worldwide. Through data, analysis, and training, it connects people who want to change the world to the resources they need to succeed. Foundation Center maintains the most comprehensive database on U.S. and, increasingly, global grantmakers and their grants — a robust, accessible knowledge bank for the sector. It also operates research, education, and training programs designed to advance knowledge of philanthropy at every level. Thousands of people visit Foundation Center's website each day and are served in its five regional hubs and its network of more than 400 funding information centers located in public libraries, community foundations, and educational institutions nationwide and around the world.
Foundation Center’s Social Sector Outreach Department is one of the most forward-facing units of the organization and engages directly with a diverse network of users. The department contributes to the success of the social sector by connecting members of the public to the resources they need to thrive in the social sector. This includes in-person trainings at our five regional offices, 470+ Funding Information Network (FIN) locations in 13 countries, as well as web-based trainings via webinars, live chats, discussions, and more.
POSITION: Unpaid Marketing Intern
REPORTING TO: Director of Foundation Center Northeast
SCHEDULE: Approximately 10 to 15 hours per week through May 2019
LOCATION: Washington, D.C. or remote (can be located anywhere in the U.S.)
This unpaid internship is ideal for a college student interested in a professional career in the nonprofit sector interested in applying his/her classroom knowledge in a real-world work environment. We will also accept students who are participating in college credit programs which require internships. Learning opportunities include:
- Opportunity to cultivate social media marketing skills and acquire new competencies;
- Detailed exposure to marketing FC trainings and events through various social media platforms;
- Experience working with content management systems (CMS) and customer relationship management (CRM) tools to gain an understanding of how these essential business systems aid operational work;
- Experience with prospect research using Foundation Center’s Foundation Directory Online (FDO), the nation’s leading database for researching foundations and their grants, as well as other Foundation Center research and training tools;
- Experience working as part of a welcoming and effective team that cuts across several departments, geographies, and time zones;
- Exposure to creating marketing plans and strategies to promote different Foundation Center live online and in-person trainings and events through various digital platforms (including social media and email).
- Complimentary enrollment in related Foundation Center trainings as scheduling allows;
- Exposure to all forms of user engagement activities including in-person events, online and in-person training and programs, and digital media;
- Exposure to current issues and trends in the broader field of philanthropy, including how infrastructure organizations help build and support capacity building, sustainability, and diversity for a multitude of nonprofit organizations in the social sector.
· In collaboration with the Community Outreach Manager, coordinate marketing and social media efforts for programs, services and events in the Northeast DC region;
· Create and schedule content for social media using Hootsuite, Foundation Center’s organizational social media management platform;
· Manage, track, and analyze the region’s social media efforts and outcomes through Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and other social media platforms using Hootsuite Analytics and analytics tools per each social media platform;
· Assist with social media ads, including on Facebook and LinkedIn, for the promotion of trainings and special programs;
· Routinely monitor and respond to social media interactions and steward community management best practices for the DC regional office;
· Assist with compiling and editing regular email communications, which includes the monthly newsletter and event reminder eblasts;
· Coordinate coverage of local speakers and events through blog entries;
· Participate in marketing calls and meetings.
The successful candidate will be a college student with prior social media and marketing experience/skills, along with coursework in any of the following areas: marketing, nonprofit management, communications, public relations or a related field. She/he will be a proactive, creative team player who enjoys process, analysis, troubleshooting, and data interpretation. S/he will demonstrate a commitment to excellence, the ability to think and learn quickly, strong organizational skills and attention to detail. This learning opportunity requires a comfort and enjoyment in interacting with others, and an appreciation for the activities of the nonprofit sector. A professional, positive attitude is a must and relevant previous experience is a plus. Experience with social media tools, i.e., Hootsuite, analytics, and with different platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn, is favorable.
A stipend of $5 to $15 will be provided for each day an unpaid intern commutes into the office or attends a Foundation Center sponsored event in-person.
How To Apply
Please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please put the title of the position you are applying for in the subject line.
For more information on positions available at the Foundation Center please visit our website: http://foundationcenter.org/about-us/work-at-foundation-center/job-openings
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
Foundation Center is an equal opportunity employer.