Hours per week
2 to 3 days per week, from early January until May
466 Geary Street
Why Join the Campaign for Female Education Team?
The Campaign for Female Education (CAMFED) is an international non-profit organization tackling poverty and inequality by supporting girls to go to school and succeed, and empowering young women to step up as leaders of change. Since 1993, CAMFED’s innovative education programs in Zimbabwe, Zambia, Ghana, Tanzania, and Malawi have supported over 2.6 million students to attend primary and secondary school, and 120,000 young women have joined CAMA, the CAMFED alumni association which provides peer support, mentoring, and training and leadership opportunities. Our model works, and we believe in what we do. If you want your work to make an impact on the world, join our team.
What is the Microfinance and Development Internship Position?
As the Microfinance and Development Intern, you will gain experience supporting our expanding partnership with Kiva, a micro-lending organization supporting CAMFED borrowers in all five CAMFED countries. You will also be responsible for reviewing and analyzing development and policy reports related to education and women’s empowerment, and conducting other research to support CAMFED’s growth. Depending on need, you may have the opportunity to support work funded by CAMFED’s major US bilateral funding partners.
This position has latitude and responsibility, and your work will have a notable impact on the CAMFED community. Among the valuable offerings of the Microfinance and Development Internship is the access it grants. You will work directly with the CAMFED USA Development Manager and Director of Global Partnerships, and work with our colleagues in Africa by email and Skype.
Note: this is an unpaid position, with a small stipend provided for local transportation and lunches. We cannot sponsor visas or pay for relocation. YOU MUST BE LOCATED IN THE UNITED STATES TO BE CONSIDERED.
Duties and Responsibilities:
In this role you will provide support for Kiva partnership-related and development tasks within the CAMFED USA office, including but not limited to:
- Reviewing and editing borrower profiles and journals from Ghana, Malawi, Tanzania, Zambia and Zimbabwe with rapid turnaround;
- Monitoring CAMFED’s borrower profiles on Kiva.org, compiling key outcomes, and identifying trends;
- Conducting research on strategic partnership and funding opportunities;
- Reviewing and analyzing development and policy reports related to education and women’s empowerment;
- Participating in conference calls with CAMFED field offices abroad; and
- Supporting the Development Manager in writing and editing reports and proposals.
- A dynamic, energetic person who has demonstrated that they consistently go the extra mile on all projects;
- Detail oriented;
- At least a college senior, preferably a post-graduate;
- An effective, friendly communicator, both online and in person; and
- A reliable and professional team member with enthusiasm for CAMFED’s mission.
Unpaid, with a small stipend to cover local commuting expenses and lunches.
How To Apply
Please send your resume and a cover letter outlining your qualifications for this position to firstname.lastname@example.org and reference “Microfinance and Development Internship” in the subject line. Please include your first and last name within the file names of your resume and cover letter attachments. Interested applicants should apply by November 30, 2018. CAMFED will contact only those applicants who are selected for an interview.