Hours per week
35-40 hours per week, hours are flexible.
District of Columbia
We are seeking interns to assist us with communications and fundraising on scenic conservation issues. Scenic America is the only national 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated solely to preserving and enhancing the visual character of America's communities and countryside. We accomplish this mission through national advocacy efforts and technical assistance services, local and national projects, and the support of our state affiliates. For more information about Scenic America visit our website at www.scenic.org.
- Drafting articles for the Scenic America website and newsletter
- Assisting with press releases and communicating with media
- Helping to arrange webinars and other communication with affiliates
- Monitoring media coverage of scenic conservation issues; compiling news clips
- Building and expanding media databases
- Supporting the creation of donor appeals, including social media and online messaging
- Conducting donor prospect research
- Helping to prepare foundation grant applications and reports
- Additional tasks as assigned by Scenic America staff
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent research skills
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills
- Motivation to work on substantive scenic conservation topics
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel
- Must possess excellent judgment and discretion
- Demonstrated ability to organize, prioritize, and complete work independently
- Graphic design experience or knowledge is a plus
- Sitting for extended periods at a desk and using a provided desktop or laptop computer
- Occasionally lifting and carrying up to 15 pounds
- Ability to use public transportation to attend various events around Washington
Location: Interns will work in Scenic America’s offices in downtown Washington, DC.
Compensation: This is an unpaid internship, but transportation reimbursement is offered.
Interns will work directly with Scenic America staff and have mentorship opportunities with the many accomplished members of our Board of Directors. Interns will have many professional development and networking opportunities and have the opportunity to publish their work in Scenic America briefs, newsletters, online communications and website.
How To Apply
Send resume and cover letter with the subject line “Communications Intern” to: firstname.lastname@example.org If selected for an interview, applicants will be required to attend an initial interview via video conference.