256 West 38th Street
The communications internship is ideal for a student seeking a hands-on opportunity to work on media relations, online communications, and research and publications for a global human rights organization. The intern will work as an integral parts of PHR’s communications team to help with materials and messaging for PHR’s mission and work.
The communications intern will attend departmental and staff meetings, as well as regular learning and social events with other interns and staff from PHR to round out his/her learning experience and complement PHR-provided career mentoring.
PHR internships are unpaid. Candidates may be able to arrange academic credit, and should check with their individual academic institutions for requirements.
• Track relevant news stories on human rights violations around the world.
• Research, write, proofread, and copy-edit social media, blog posts, web content, newsletter articles, press releases, and other communications materials.
• Run reports and use to track website traffic and online ad campaigns.
• Track PHR’s media coverage and compile and organize media lists.
• Research journalists and outlets covering topics and regions related to PHR’s work.
• Assist in maintaining and updating the PHR website.
Qualifications and Experience
• Current enrollment in an undergraduate or graduate program of study specializing in communications, journalism, international relations, or other relevant major
• Interest in communications work in a nonprofit setting
• Familiarity with Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Suite
• Superior organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to manage a project from start to finish
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively, effectively, and professionally in a multi-faceted organization
• Mature judgment, strong sense of integrity, confidentiality, and capacity to work with minimal supervision
• Sense of humor a plus
Location and Hours
• The intern will be based in PHR’s New York City office in midtown Manhattan.
• This unpaid internship may be full-time or part-time, commencing in October.
How To Apply
How to Apply
Please apply by sending a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Communications Intern Fall 2018” in the subject line. Please include in your cover letter the number of weekly hours you would be able to commit to the internship.