Program Development & Communications Internship with Legacy International
- Internship posted by Legacy International / Global Youth Village
Hours per week
20 hours per week.
District of Columbia
Legacy International is offering a 4-month internship putting your skills to work to support a wide array of youth and young professional development initiatives.
Founded in 1979, Legacy International is a US-based non-governmental organization with a distinguished history strengthening civil society, building capacity and leadership, and promoting cooperation around the world. During the past 40 years, Legacy has completed well over 200 projects with more than 8,000 leaders, youths, and professionals from 115+ countries.
Applicants with specific interest and experience in international relations, political science, marketing, communications, web strategies or user interface are preferred.
Legacy International is seeking an energetic, talented university student or recent graduate with a passion for civic engagement and international understanding. A successful candidate will be a creative self-starter, who will work closely a member of our dedicated year-round staff in the Washington, DC area.
The internship is a part time (20-hours a week) paid position from February through May, 2019. (Tentative start date: February 11.)
As part of this internship, Legacy can offer a way to meaningfully contribute to the Saudi Young Leaders Exchange Program (SYLEP). In 2019 the theme of the program will be Leadership, Healthy Lifestyles, and Community Engagement. Provide program support throughout SYLEP’s design and set-up phases. This includes designing communication materials for participants and partners, training materials development, agenda / calendar development, logistic support, development of participant surveys, etc.
In addition, you will support Legacy’s staff under supervision of the Director of Innovation and Entrepreneurship in the following ways:
- Research, link to and write new content for blog posts on a variety of programmatic / thematic topics (Social Entrepreneurship, NGO Development, STEM Education, Transformative Leaders, Women’s Empowerment, etc.)
- Work with the Social Media Team to develop and edit weekly social media posting calendars. Pre-load social media content.
- Assisting in mapping Legacy’s online audiences. Identify and monitor conversations and reputation online. What is being said about Legacy International or specific high-profile initiatives.
- Work on alumni and partner engagement communications.
- Develop marketing tools and communication pieces to be used with engaging our current audience and potential new partners.
- Attend networking events in the Washington, DC metro area to introduce Legacy International to potential partners.
- Excellent oral and interpersonal communication skills is a must, as successful candidate will work both internally with Legacy colleagues and externally with others from diverse populations and communities.
- Self-starter with a positive attitude. Interest in and ability to work in both a team environment and alone with minimal direction.
- Demonstrated personal computer skills, including basic troubleshooting and use of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint and the willingness to learn other software tools.
- Interest in building capacity in under-served communities and championing individuals, nonprofits and social enterprises that connect people, increase giving and catalyze civic action.
- Minimum age, 20 years old.
Compensation: This is a paid internship. A modest salary is provided. As a temporary employee, interns are not eligible for paid leave or health care benefits. Legacy will gladly work with an intern’s college or university to support the intern in earning academic credit for his/her work with Legacy.
Work Location: Washington, D.C. metro area in a Legacy provided office space in the DC Metro area with a DC based Legacy staff member as supervisor.
How To Apply
TO APPLY: send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline is January 4, 2019. Candidates are strongly encouraged to apply earlier than the stated deadline. The position will be filled as soon as a well-qualified candidate is identified. Applicant must be based in Washington, D.C. metro area for the duration of the internship.
Legacy International is an Equal Opportunity Employer and seeks qualified applicants to represent diverse geographical, ethnic, religious, and economic backgrounds. Our goal is to select the most qualified leaders for each program. The competitive standards are set by each group of applicants. Only applicants meeting required qualifications for the position will be considered.