50 Broad Street
Title: Policy Associate
Start Date: June 2018
Hours: Part or Full Time
Organizational Background: The Coalition for Asian American Children and Families (CACF) is the nation’s only pan-Asian children and families’ advocacy organization bringing together community based organizations as well as youth and parents to fight for equity for Asian Pacific American (APA) children and families. CACF aims to improve the health and well-being of Asian Pacific American children in New York City. Founded in 1986, CACF works to transform the Asian Pacific American (APA) community through fostering collaboration, promoting community leadership, and building a collective voice. CACF is seeking a part-time or full-time Policy Associate to support CACF’s campaigns that aim to promote equity for the Asian Pacific American community in the City and State.
The Policy Associate will support the policy advocacy efforts of CACF that include projects related to budget advocacy, outreach, research, and policy events.
1. Budget Analysis. With the adoption of NYC's Fiscal Year 2019 budget, CACF analyzes the budget to identify how much funding has been allocated to Asian Pacific American serving and led community based organizations. Such analysis requires attention to detail and knowledge of excel. The analysis will help CACF's budget equity campaign.
2. Policy Events. CACF will host a series of event with staff from our member organizations and other stakeholders on a variety of topics that include: LGBTQI issues and APA youth; universal health care; and diversity in public schools.
● Collaborating with Co-Executive Directors and other CACF team members on campaigns
● Supporting advocacy driven coalition building work in the areas of child welfare, education, health, budget advocacy, youth services, and Asian Pacific American issues
● Meeting with CACF member and partner agencies
● Assisting with policy research and analysis, including community needs assessments
● Assisting with communications related to policy position papers, public testimony, and memoranda
Qualifications, Education and Experience
· Demonstrated knowledge about the important of fundraising for nonprofit organizations
· Commitment to CACF’s mission, children’s rights, and social justice
· Understanding of Asian Pacific American communities and/or non-profit organizations
● Earning or completed Bachelor’s degree or least 1-2 years related work/internship experience
· Strong interpersonal communication skills, both written and oral.
· Ability to work well within a team environment or independently
· Strong computer skills including proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Google Docs
· Excellent organizational skills.
● Experience with research and analysis of data.
● Ability to set priorities among multiple responsibilities
We are seeking motivated and responsible college/graduate students or young professionals looking to gain experience working with a nonprofit in development and special events.
This is an unpaid internship. We encourage you to use this internship to gain course credit and to seek out "work-study" grants with your college, if that is an option.
How To Apply
Interested candidates should send a résumé, cover letter, and writing sample (2 pages) to firstname.lastname@example.org. For further information about CACF, please visit our website at www.cacf.org.