Hours per week
37.5 hours per week
1025 Vermont Avenue, NW
WJP’s Index team is seeking a full-time, paid intern to be based at WJP’s office in Washington DC for the spring (starting in March).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
As part of a small team, interns will provide crucial support to the Index team and will assist with data collection efforts and report production for WJP’s various projects, including preparation for the Rule of Law Index 2018, Mexican States Rule of Law Index, the Open Government Report, and other thematic and country-specific projects. The main responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
· Assist with primary data collection for the Rule of Law Index and Mexican States Index;
· Provide support for administration of the QRQ surveys, including preparation of survey platforms and contact database for data collection;
· Translate survey instruments into Russian, and conduct targeted telephone and email outreach to QRQ Russian-speaking experts to increase response rates;
· Conduct research to identify potential practitioner and academic legal experts to participate in the QRQ expert survey;
· Assist in preparing for the General Population Poll (GPP) data collection cycle; including evaluating and contracting survey organizations to conduct in-country fieldwork around the world;
· Assist with preparations for meeting and presentations, including producing drafts of power point presentations and handouts, and preparing and assembling outreach materials for external distribution;
· Provide general administrative support in support of WJP projects, including organizational work in Microsoft Excel and Word; assisting with Index calendar management and logistics for travel and meetings; mass mailings; and other office and logistical support duties.
· Bachelor’s or Master’s degree (completed or currently pursuing) in international affairs, social sciences, journalism, economics, policy studies, regional studies, or related field;
· Fluency or near fluency in Russian;
· Knowledge of Microsoft Office (especially Excel), with preference given to those with prior experience/proven ability to manage large databases;
· Superior research, writing, oral communication skills;
· Ability to communicate clearly and efficiently; and ability to give and receive feedback;
· Highly dependable with the ability to work in a team-oriented environment;
· Excellent written and oral communication skills, excellent problem solving skills, and attention to detail;
· Applicants must be authorized to work in the United States for the duration of the internship.
How To Apply
Please email a cover letter, resume, a writing sample not exceeding 3 pages, and reference information (1-3 reference contact information, past supervisors and employers preferred) to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “[Last Name], [First Name] QRQ Internship 2018”. Please send all application documents at once, preferably in PDF format. This position will remain open until filled. Due to the high volume of applications received, we are only able to follow up directly with candidates selected for interviews. No phone calls please.