2318 Mill Road
Are you interested in making a world of difference in cancer care?
Cancer strikes more than 10 million people worldwide each year. As the leading medical society representing doctors who care for people with cancer, the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) is committed to conquering cancer through research, education, and promotion of the highest quality patient care.
Who we are:
ASCO is a stable, forward-thinking membership organization that operates in a results-oriented work environment in which employees’ evaluation emphasizes performance outcomes over presence or time. This is an Alexandria, VA based internship. To learn what it’s like to work at ASCO, click here.
We are looking for a highly motivated Data Science Intern to join the Research and Analysis Division (RAD) of the Center for Research and Analytics. The goal of this internship is to provide experience in analysis of a real-world data set for a trainee studying in the field of data science, statistics, biostatistics or a related field. At the end of the internship assignment, the intern will have gained experience in data handling and statistical analysis of a real-world dataset (CancerLinQ Discovery), made major contributions to the completion of at least one research project, assisted in development of research tools for future CancerLinQ Discovery research projects and gained valuable collaborative experience working with a diverse research team.
Internship Activities Include:
- Handling large complex data tables from a real-world database of cancer patients in an AWS environment
- Supporting the development of tools (e.g., SQL and/or R code) for data management and data use for CancerLinQ Discovery datasets, including tools for two specific projects
- Applying exploratory data analysis techniques to explore and describe patient data
- Applying statistical methods, such as regression models and survival analysis, to make inferences regarding projects aims and hypotheses
- Developing reports and summarizing findings
- Performing careful record keeping to maximize reproducibility of findings
- Currently enrolled in an undergraduate BA/BS degree program or graduate program, or recently graduated from a 4-year degree program in Data Science, Informatics, Bioinformatics, Biostatistics, Statistics or a related field
- Experience programming in R or Stata is required
- Knowledge of SQL is strongly encouraged
- Familiarity with statistical software
- Ability to work both as part of a team and independently
ASCO is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE)
Duration: 10 weeks during Spring 2019. Start and end dates to be customized based on successful candidate’s class schedules. This internship is approximately 25 hours per week with flexibility.
Compensation: This spring internship position is paid. Additionally, ASCO will provide parking or a metro subsidy to the successful candidate.
Other: Candidates should reside in the D.C. metro area or be able to relocate at their own expense.
To apply for this internship, please submit your resume and a cover letter.