Scientific Illustration of Flora and Fauna
- Internship posted by Archipelagos, Institute of Marine Conservation
Focusing on illustrations of marine and terrestrial biodiversity in the Eastern Aegean Islands, interns have the opportunity to partake in different conservation-based projects. By sketching from marine and terrestrial wildlife observations and pre-collected objects, they are merging photographic images with the knowledge of scientists. In addition, the interns create illustrations that are used in projects and campaigns that aim to raise public awareness of environmental issues. As a result, they contribute to the environmental conservation efforts of Archipelagos while developing dynamic personal portfolios. Activities include:
· Creating scientific illustrations of bird, reptilian, amphibian, and terrestrial mammal species
· Creating scientific illustrations of terrestrial plant, shrub and tree species
· Creating scientific illustrations of marine mammals, fish, invertebrates, as well as marine flora
· Creating scientific illustrations for informational material used in public awareness activities
· At least one year of college or university studies in the fields of art or science
· Experience in illustrating high-detail subjects, preferably scientific organisms
· Personal portfolio showcasing proficiency in pencil, pen, and/or stylus illustrations
· Excellent organizational and time-management skills
· High standard of work
· Fluency in English
· Ability to work both individually and as part of a dynamic, multi-cultural team
· Sincere desire to work towards Archipelagos’ conservation efforts
· Motivation to live in a small island community
A minimum duration of 3 months is highly recommended for all participants, although shorter placements can be tailored to the needs of groups and individuals. Placements can last as long as 12 months.
Archipelagos’ research bases and stations in the eastern Aegean Sea, on the islands of Samos, Lipsi, Ikaria, Leros, Arki, Marathi and Oinousses. Placements may also include working on board of one of our research boats.
Monthly fees of 650 euro include:
Living expenses (shared accommodation, all meals, wi-fi)
Use of equipment & research boats
Transport for working purposes
Greek language lessons
Students and recent graduates are advised to explore possible funding through their universities, by getting in touch with the Finance / International Relations / Placement/ Erasmus+ Offices at their Universities or other relevant grant providing organizations in their region.
*Travelling costs are NOT included and are covered by the participant.
Please submit CV and covering letter to email@example.com
How To Apply
Please submit CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org