Hours per week
35-40 hours per week
1111 19th Street Northwest
District of Columbia
Summer 2018 Internship - Paid
Opportunity@Work is a nonprofit social enterprise with a mission to expand access to career opportunities so that all Americans can work, learn, and earn to their full potential in a dynamic economy. Our work is anchored by three pillars: transforming hiring practices, expanding learning pathways, and pioneering talent financing. With these three pillars, Opportunity@Work and our partners will equip Americans currently overlooked by today’s labor market practices to build, to demonstrate, and to be hired based on their skills into well-paid, in-demand jobs and careers across the country.
About the role:
Opportunity@Work is hiring for paid, full-time internships. In a lean startup environment, the intern should be confident in playing multiple roles as needed and exploring opportunities to add value. We are a small but rapidly growing team. As such, the intern will have access to and work alongside all members of the organization, from the most senior to most junior Team members. The intern will participate in key meetings and will have the opportunity to take on mini-projects of their own connected to larger team deliverables.
The intern will complete projects and special assignments by establishing objectives, determining priorities and monitoring progress. The intern should be confident, well organized, mature and bring a range of additional skills, from research and analysis, to writing and content management. A willingness to take initiative and a drive to learn would be especially advantageous.
You should also have:
- Passion for our mission: You care deeply about work force, social justice and inclusive training/hiring related issues.
- Comfort with a blank canvas: You feel you can thrive in an environment with ambiguity, and you are excited about the opportunity to build an initiative from scratch. You’re hard working, and bring grit and resolve to your work.
- People-Centered Approach: You enjoy engaging with people and have a talent for building and managing strong relationships that achieve outcomes. You are an excellent listener who can build rapport with people from diverse backgrounds and perspectives and use a human-centered design approach to your work.
- Clear Communication: You have exceptional written and verbal communication skills with the ability to synthesize complex information into simple and engaging terms with your audience in mind.
- Tech-Savvy and Organized: You are comfortable using digital tools like the Microsoft Office Suite, Twitter and Facebook. You are highly organized and can handle multiple and competing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience: You have proven experience in results-oriented relationship management, and demonstrated strong project management skills and ability to think critically and creatively, work independently, take initiative and problem solve.
Not required, but we would love to know if you also have any of the following skills:
- Graphic Design
- Media Arts
- Website Design
- Software Development
- Database/Data Analysis
How To Apply
How to Apply
Please submit a resume and a cover letter in either Microsoft Word or PDF format. Feel free to attach letters of reference or any other information that you feel helps describe your experience and qualifications. Internships will take place at our office in Washington, DC. Send your application as an email attachment with the words ‘Summer 2018 Internship Application’ in the subject line to: JoinUs@opportunityatwork.org.
You can also apply by mail. Mail your application to:
1111 19th St, NW - Ste. 1180
Washington, DC 20036
Attn: HR Admin Specialist
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process.
Opportunity@Work is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce at all levels of the organization. We value and encourage the contributions of our employees and strive to create an environment where everyone can reach their full potential and drive outstanding results. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law. This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.