Stipend available upon completion of internship.
Hours per week
20 Jay Street
We're currently hiring SUMMER 2018 interns!
Want to have your finger on the pulse of one of Brooklyn's most exciting neighborhoods? Join our team!
The DUMBO Improvement District is a nonprofit organization dedicated to enhancing and promoting DUMBO, Brooklyn. The Improvement District showcases DUMBO as a world-class destination, advocating on behalf of DUMBO's businesses, property owners and residents. We offer a dynamic, fast-paced work environment that touches on urban planning, economic development, marketing, public space design and programming, digital communications, small businesses development, community organizing and event planning. (Visit www.dumbo.is to get a sense of what we're all about.)
Community Development interns assist with a wide array of urban planning, public space design and programming, economic development, asset mapping, communications and neighborhood outreach activities. If you're an urbanist with an entrepreneurial spirit and a creative spark, this is the perfect hands-on learning opportunity!
- Desire to work on community development opportunities;
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Overall tech savvy-ness, including GIS and Adobe Creative Suite;
- Experience with website content development and management;
- General knowledge of DUMBO / Brooklyn neighborhood development (or a desire to learn);
- Office experience working at a small nonprofit or startup.
Minimum 24 hours per week; office hours are Monday-Friday from 10am-6pm. Strong preference for availability on Thursdays from 2-9pm. Additional nights and weekends will be required for special events.
FYI, The DUMBO Improvement District hires Community Development interns on a semester basis:
- Summer Session, which runs from June-August (applications taken in April)
- Fall Session, which runs from September-December (applications taken in July)
- Winter/Spring Session, which runs from January - May (applications taken in November)
This internship is unpaid; small stipend upon completion.
How To Apply
Please send cover letter, resume, and one short, non-academic writing sample (e.g. blog posts) to email@example.com. Specify "Community Development Intern-NAME" in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so submit early!