Hours per week
The internship is a one year commitment. Hours are 9:30 to 5:30, Monday through Friday, with the expectation of occasional nights for fundraisers.
211 East 43rd Street
Project Sunshine is a leading volunteer-based organization delivering free, in-hospital programs to pediatric patients and their families. Each year, millions of lives are affected by pediatric illness or injury and disrupted by the stress and anxiety it causes. We partner with hundreds of medical centers across the United States and in four international locations to meet the non-medical, social-emotional needs of children dealing with all illnesses.
Project Sunshine empowers a dynamic and dedicated corps of over 18,000 volunteers – community members, college students, corporations, and youth – to bring recreational, educational, and social programming to 150,000 children facing medical challenges and their families. Our programs spark creativity, promote self-esteem, and provide a needed distraction. Most of all, they let young patients act and feel like kids during emotionally and physically challenging times.
The Senior Development and Communications Intern will join a passionate and energetic team at a time of significant organizational growth. She/he will develop exceptional communication skills; will assist with the planning and implementation of major fundraising events; will learn the day to day operations of a non-profit; and will practice strategic decision making. Donations and awareness raised make our unique programming for young patients and their families possible.
Senior Development and Communications Intern will gain professional skill sets, by supervised engagement, in:
I. Development and Communications Initiatives
· Prepare and organize marketing materials and press kits
· Assist with projects related to website development and other web content
· Monitor social media pages – reposting key updates – and develop content for posting
· Input donor information into fundraising database
· Conduct in-depth research on funding possibilities
· Manage media archive and update as needed
II. Major Fundraising Events
· Assist with the planning and organization of fundraising events
· Request sponsorships and auction prize donations
· Prepare key documents and presentations for use at events
· Provide on-site support during events
· Organize photos and thank you letters post-event
· Commitment to the mission and values of Project Sunshine
· Excellent verbal, written, organizational, and interpersonal skills
· Strong attention to detail
· Experience with database work is preferred, but not required (training will be provided)
· Experience with event planning or volunteering is a plus
· Proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
· Desire to learn about the nonprofit sector, fundraising, and/or special events
· Comfortable navigating public transportation within the NYC boroughs
· Candidates must be willing to commit to 40 hours a week for one year (a stipend will be provided)
· Gain invaluable working experience in a passionate, exciting, mission–driven organization
· Work in a collaborative environment alongside people who are experienced in their fields
· Establish a professional network and make valuable connections
· Chance to be fully integrated into the organization, including getting to know how a nonprofit functions and the opportunity to be a part of all staff functions: team meetings and staff engagement activities
· Professional Development opportunities, including intern lunches with staff to discuss career paths, resumes, interviews, and more
How To Apply
A cover letter and resume are required. Email email@example.com and include your cover letter and resume as attachments AND in the body of the email in case the attachments cannot be opened.
Please put "Senior Development and Communications Internship" in the subject of your email. NO phone calls please.