Paz Oaxaca is an nonprofit located in Oaxaca, Mexico, dedicated to promoting peace, equity, and sustainability in our community. We create and support community programs that are equitable and accessible to all, regardless of income or background. We currently support a Dual Language Immersion Montessori program, an after-school program, a community clothing exchange, library, and garden, and are in the process of developing many more programs. We are supported by our 501(c)(3). www.pazoaxaca.org
Interns may work in more than one area or program and have the opportunity to learn teaching, gardening, construction, fundraising, project development and coordination, and many more skills. Some work can be remotely.
Volunteers can work in our office or remotely from anywhere in the world.
- Interns: Paz Interns commit to a minimum of 360 hours, which could be worked in a variety of schedules (eg. 30 hours per week for 3 months, 15 hours per week for 6 months, or 7.5 hours per week for a year).
- Volunteers: For those who wish to make a smaller commitment, there are also volunteer positions available.
- We work with the interns to develop an individualized program that is beneficial to both the intern and Paz. Here are some of the ways that Paz Oaxaca Interns get involved:
OPEN POSITIONS (Positions may be combined)
Paz & Play (Intern)
Paz & Play is an after-school program that serves children from the community of Guadalupe Victoria who attend local public schools. The program focuses on peace (prosocial skills, Montessori Peace Curriculum, and Nonviolent Communication), environmental education, and English. Paz & Play interns are responsible for lesson planning, program instruction, and creating and maintaining relationships with the family and community.
The Paz & Play interns work under a Montessori guide to direct the students’ activities academically, spiritually, emotionally, and physically in a way that fosters independent growth. Students are challenged to reach their fullest potential, in accordance with Montessori philosophy and procedures. Paz & Play interns help the Montessori guide create and maintain the environment.
Paz provides second-language instruction training, Nonviolent Communication and/or restorative justice training, CPR training, and continued teaching and instructional support and resources throughout the internship.
Community Programs (Intern or Volunteer)
Paz Oaxaca funds many socially conscious and community support programs. We currently support a Dual Language Immersion Montessori school, an after-school program for public school students, an early family support program, a community library, garden, and MakerSpace. Participants work in a variety of these programs to help coordinate and further develop them.
Development and Communication (Intern or Volunteer)
Paz Oaxaca Interns will help with organizational communications, social media, fundraising, and development. They will also be involved in one or more of our community programs, through helping coordinate or develop them. Interns will learn grant writing and development skills, community building and coordination skills, volunteer planning and facilitation, and more. Paz Oaxaca works with each individual intern to develop an internship program that is beneficial and productive to both the organization and the individual, taking into account organizational needs and interns’ interests.
Paz Oaxaca Translator and Proofreader (Intern or Volunteer)
We are currently looking for an intern or volunteer fluent in Spanish and English to help us translate, copyedit, and transcribe documents and short videos. Translators and proofreaders can work remotely from anywhere in the world and should have experience translating and copyediting from Spanish to English. Participants will hone their translation skills while helping a growing nonprofit with essential tasks and projects.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS (INTERNS & VOLUNTEERS)
- Organized and flexible
- Strong people skills
- Good judgement, strong initiative, and ability to work independently
- Demonstrated commitment to social change
PREFERRED ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS
- College studies or equivalent
- Fluency in Spanish
- Experience living abroad
- Experience volunteering for non-profit organizations
- Free housing for interns. Assistance finding housing for volunteers.
- Free meals, snacks, and beverages while working
- Free transportation to and from our campus from a central location
- Sponsored professional development and training opportunities for members of our team who have made a long-term commitment
- Free tuition at Paz Montessori for the children of full-time interns
- Support with Spanish class coordination at an affiliated non-profit
- Supportive community