The Asian American Journalists Association (AAJA) is looking for Spring 2022 interns to work starting February 15. Timing has some flexibility, with a preference for those available through the summer, August 15 (This internship offers a foray into a nonprofit space that aims to increase AAPI perspectives and representation in newsrooms, media, and storytelling. The internship provides hands-on experience supporting online events and project management.
Remote internship opportunity to commit at least 20 hours/week. Interns will receive a modest monthly stipend commensurate with their time availability. Interns will not be required to travel or be on-site in person, though interns may have the opportunity to as public safety measures evolve.
Convention 2022 Support
- Participate in planning of 2022 AAJA Convention. Tasks include updating documents, coordinating meeting logistics and action items, and supporting convention staff and volunteer teams as needed.
- Monitor and document media mentions
- Monitor social media accounts, and coordinate content relevant to AAJA’s programs and initiatives (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
- Contribute to copywriting and producing content across AAJA’s channels, such as for the member newsletter or website
- Data entry and maintenance: assist with updating contacts and outreach lists
- Assist in outreach initiatives: including data entry, deduplication, and updating membership contact information
- Maintaining filing system for archiving documents and correspondence; including organizing and maintaining digital and physical files (books, documents, attachments)
Programs and Initiatives
- Assisting with various programs and initiatives, including our signature journalism leadership programs, the annual convention, and AAJA’s 40th anniversary initiatives. Duties include
- Meeting-level virtual and in-person event planning and logistics, including: booking conference rooms; coffee, water, catering as necessary for meetings; printing/distributing agendas; computer and presentation setup; facilitating with directions; greeting guests and helping them get situated
- A recent graduate or currently enrolled student in an accredited university or college as a full-time undergraduate or graduate student, or equivalent professional development experience
- Knowledge of change management, organizational development, and system operations.
- The ideal applicant will be comfortable in a fast-paced deadline-driven environment, flexible, communicative, innovative, and attentive to detail
- Candidates are expected to have strong written and oral communication skills and experience successfully balancing multiple tasks
- Knowledge of AAPI history/ context preferred.
- Knowledge of or interest in media and diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts also preferred.
- Access to a computer and internet for remote portions of the role
- Knowledge and experience with a majority of the following apps and platforms: Wordpress & Salesforce, Microsoft Office Suite, Google Workspace, Slack, Zoom, Airtable, Click-Up, and Clockify.
- Experience working within an office environment
- Soft skills: Self-starter — works well without a lot of direction; able to handle stressful situations and different personalities; organized, cooperative, communicative, collaborative.
AAJA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, pregnancy, disability, work-related injury, covered veteran status, political ideology, marital status, or any other factor that the law protects from employment discrimination.
We care about giving opportunities to under-represented groups. Our team and our office aims to be an accessible and hospitable place to work.
DEADLINE TO APPLY - February 1, 2022 11:59pm PST