Hours per week
40 hours per week for 10 weeks
New Sector Alliance is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit consulting and leadership development firm. We work across sectors to help established and emerging leaders tackle pressing challenges and advance their careers. Our mission is to accelerate social change by strengthening organizations and developing leaders. Through intensive fellowships, New Sector prepares highly talented young professionals for rewarding, mission-driven careers that change lives, organizations, and the world.
The New Sector Summer Fellowship program is an intensive, 10-week program for undergraduate and graduate students and recent graduates. Fellows are selected from a highly competitive pool and matched with a nonprofit, government agency, or social enterprise to serve full-time completing capacity-building projects that allow organizations to more effectively achieve their missions. Host site projects are designed to create, improve, or expand services and may focus on impact measurement, community and volunteer outreach and engagement, program development initiatives, strategic communication and marketing efforts, or fundraising, among others. During their service term, Summer Fellows participate in New Sector's training and mentoring program.
Through their efforts on capacity-building initiatives, experience with the daily operations of their host sites, and the training and support that New Sector provides, Summer Fellows develop a better understanding of building a socially responsible career. After completing the program, Summer Fellows become lifelong members of the New Sector Alliance alumni network and are eligible to apply to serve on the New Sector Alliance Alumni Board.
2018 Chicago Summer Fellowship Features:
June 14, 2018 – August 24, 2018
Host Site Service:
For 10-weeks, Fellows serve full-time in Chicago-based host organizations, completing capacity-building projects that aim to create, improve, or expand services. Before the start of the fellowship, New Sector works with each host site to develop a project scope that provides a meaningful, impactful, and challenging experience.
This summer, New Sector is partnering with the Robert R. McCormick Foundation to match New Sector Summer Fellows with host sites serving veterans and military families. New Sector is also open to including a select number of Summer Fellows who have already secured a summer internship with a Chicago-based mission-driven organization.
Fellows participate in New Sector's Impact Leadership Curriculum, which includes workshops on career development and management, communication and leadership skills, and functional skills development (e.g. finance, fundraising, marketing). Formats include lecture, case discussions, small group collaboration, individual reflection, role play, and others.
Fellows also participate regularly in small-group, peer-facilitated Learning Teams that provide a support network and a more intimate forum for sharing knowledge, ideas, successes, and challenges.
Each Summer Fellow is matched with a volunteer mentor from business, management consulting, or social impact backgrounds. Mentors provide Fellows with a variety of support, including technical and presentation skills, project-specific support, professional skills development, and career planning.
Fellows must be:
- Undergraduate Student / Summer Fellows: Ideal applicants are undergraduate juniors and seniors or recent graduates with a bachelor's degree.
- Graduate Student / Senior Summer Fellows: Ideal applicants have a minimum of two years of post-undergraduate work experience and are completing or have completed a graduate degree (MBA or equivalent)
There is no "typical" Fellow; New Sector seeks individuals of differing perspectives and backgrounds and with various career goals. Successful applicants will demonstrate the following:
- Demonstrated commitment to making an impact in a mission-driven career.
- High level of self-motivation and academic, extracurricular, professional, and/or personal accomplishment.
- Core leadership attributes, including: resourcefulness, responsibility, independence, patience, integrity, energy, and strong work ethic.
- Adaptability in the face of change and resource constraints.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, including the capacity to understand the needs of multiple and diverse stakeholders, build strong host site relationships, and work effectively individually and as part of team.
- Excellent project management, analytical, and/or research skills.
- Ability to approach challenges in a structured manner by setting goals, devising a plan to achieve those goals, and meeting those goals in a timely manner.
- Desire to proactively take on responsibility within New Sector, our host site partners, and your own personal/professional development.
New Sector Alliance actively seeks to build a Fellow class with a broad range of backgrounds and experiences, representing a diversity of race, color, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, secular preference, political affiliation, socioeconomic status, and ancestry. Further, we encourage individuals with disabilities to apply to the program and can provide reasonable accommodations for those individuals upon request.
- Undergraduate Summer Fellows: New Sector provides a $2,000 stipend over 10 weeks ($200/week). To supplement New Sector’s stipend, Fellows are encouraged to apply for matching funds and/or additional fellowship funding from other sources.
- Graduate Student / Senior Summer Fellows: New Sector provides a $4,000 stipend over 10 weeks ($400/week). To supplement New Sector’s stipend, Fellows are encouraged to apply for matching funds and/or additional fellowship funding from other sources.
How To Apply
Apply through New Sector's application portal at: http://www.tfaforms.com/345303.
Candidates will be asked to prepare a cover letter, resume, and short writing samples. Questions about the application process can be sent to Marcia Mundt at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.