Hours per week
4-5 days/week preferred for 3-6 months from start date
2600 Virignia Avenue, NW
The Editorial intern will assist the Marketing Department’s Editorial Team in writing, editing, researching, fact-checking, and publishing a wide variety of digital and print content. Outlets include the SavingPlaces.org website and Preservation magazine. Responsibilities include some administrative support. Selection will be based on the candidate’s demonstrated writing ability, familiarity with tech platforms, and interest in/involvement with subject matter.
National Trust internships are temporary, volunteer experiential learning opportunities with no expectation of employment at the conclusion of the internship.
For this internship, the National Trust is offering a stipend of $1,000/month to help offset expenses. The internship will last for up to 6 months from the start date, and offers some flexibility of schedule, Monday – Friday.
- Write, edit, fact-check, and proofread a variety of online stories, magazine content, and other materials as assigned
- Research stories and images for online and print
- Publish stories in the National Trust’s content management system
- Manage submissions to the Calendar of Events
- Perform administrative tasks as assigned
- Participate in campaign planning where appropriate
EDUCATIONAL VALUE TO THE INTERN
The intern will gain experience under the mentorship of editorial professionals, in an educational setting within the award winning publications department of one of the nation’s leading arts & cultural and non-profit advocacy organizations. The intern will also have the opportunity to participate in educational programming offered during their time at the National Trust. Students may also be eligible for college or graduate school academic credit at the discretion of their institution.
Specifically, the intern will gain knowledge in the following areas:
- Researching and creating compelling content for print and online publication
- The professional editorial process, from start to finish
- Working as part of a publications team, as well as part of a larger organization in a professional office setting.
At the end of the project the intern will have produced published pieces which can be added to their professional portfolio in support of their future career pursuits.
- Must have some reporting/writing experience (clips are required)
- Must be responsible, motivated, detail-oriented. Ability to collaborate and achieve results with supervision, including ability to interact professionally with key internal and external stakeholders as needed.
- Basic analytical and problem solving skills, including issue identification and prioritization. Excellent organization and project management skills.
- Communication skills that come from good listening techniques; a clear, concise writing style; and good verbal skills. Friendly and professional demeanor on the phone and in writing, with ability to speak and write clearly in English. Bi-lingual language (especially English/Spanish) skills a plus.
- Strong knowledge of AP Style and grammar
- Fact-checking experience preferred
- Previous experience with blogging platforms, social media, and/or CMSs preferred
- Ability to adapt and be flexible in a dynamic work environment, including ability to manage time, adhere to regular deadlines, prioritize quickly, and readjust priorities throughout the day
- Ability to work effectively with culturally diverse colleagues; connections to or experience helping to engage culturally diverse audiences and partners a plus.
- Regular and reliable attendance required.
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office. Familiarity with photo editing and video editing software a plus.
- Bachelor’s level studies (or equivalent years of experience) required; current or rising juniors, seniors or graduate students preferred. Studies in journalism, writing, English, communications, history, or a related field preferred. Demonstrated interest in subject matter (history, architecture, historic preservation) a plus.
How To Apply
Please email cover letter and resume, with three writing samples/clips as PDF attachments or links, to: 775072-CSfirstname.lastname@example.org