Hours per week
8-10 hours per week
641 S Street Northwest
District of Columbia
The Writers in Schools Internship is a hands-on experience focusing on PEN/Faulkner’s K-12 literary arts outreach program that brings contemporary literature and living writers into under-resourced DC public and public charter schools. We provide free books for students and coordinate class visits with the authors, fostering conversation about their works and their careers as writers.
- Helping coordinate author visits and attending visits, where needed, as an author ambassador.
- Support information management of book lists, author database, website organization, volunteer database, and DC public and charter school demographics and needs.
- Research partnership opportunities with community organizations, educators/schools, publishers, and others.
- Assist and support evaluation of WinS programming.
- Assist with and develop reading packets and other material development.
- Update WinS materials and create general PEN/Faulkner content for print and on the web, including writing and editing copy, selecting images, social media, and marketing the program.
- Work closely with the Writers in Schools Program Director to analyze program data and draw meaningful conclusions on the strength and vitality of the program.
- Support, where possible, PEN/Faulkner’s Literary Conversations events (author readings).
The ideal candidate has:
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- An interest in education and arts-based outreach programs
- The ability and drive to work independently and as part of a team
- A passion for literature
- A good sense of humor
- Experience with social media and writing for the web (not required)
- Experience with basic graphic design (not required)
- Written and oral fluency in Spanish is a huge plus!
REQUIREMENTS (ALL POSITIONS)
- Hours: Minimum 10 hours/week. Candidates must be able to work shifts of at least 4-hours.
- Compensation: Unpaid
- Who can apply: Undergrad students, graduate students, and recent graduates.
- Deadline to apply: January 18. Interviews and hirings are done on a rolling basis, and positions may fill prior to this date.
- Start date: Mandatory orientation on Saturday, January 26
- End date: Week of April 29
Send an email (noting the position you are applying for in the subject line) with a current resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your cover letter, please explain what you will bring to the position, as well as what you hope to gain from the experience.
Our office is located in the WeWork Wonder Bread building 1 block from the Shaw-Howard University Metro station.
This is an unpaid internship. Academic credit can be provided. Travel within the work day for internship duties are paid for by PEN/Faulkner. Upon completion of the internship, PEN/Faulkner will provide a travel stipend for interns.
No phone calls, please.